No power to thermostat Ultra SX 80 - I've tried many things

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Been trawling through the forums for the last week, working in fixing my furnace and/or thermostat. I think I have gotten a lot of good stuff from reading other posts, but I am officially at a dead end. My wife and I went out of town a couple weeks ago and when we came back, our thermostat was off. It was an older programmable Honeywell that occasionally would flicker off but if you tapped it, it would come back on. I assumed it finally died for good, so I went and bought a new Ecobee thermostat thinking that would be the fix.

I hooked that up and had no power. I talked to their customer support who had me run a few diagnostics and I found that the R & C wires weren't putting out voltage at the wall. I went down to the furnace and checked that, which showed there was no voltage there. The control panel for the furnace was older and didn't have a fuse, so I bought a new one with the blade fuse and installed that. I still don't have any power at R & C.

So, at that point I thought the step down transformer to the control panel was burned out, but when I check the yellow output from it, I get a solid 25V going to the panel. I know that is brand new and the fuse is intact, but there is still no power to the thermostat in general and the R & C wire terminals.

When I turn on power to the furnace when I'm done tinkering, the blower immediately kicks on, so the actual furnace seems to be working, I just can't figure this out. I've check all the wiring multiple times and now I feel like I'm losing my mind. Thanks for any (more) help, Much appreciated.

Ask a Question