Immersion heater constantly tripping

Reaction score
Hi

OK - replaced and old 28" immersion heater with a new one. It has a thermal trip and kept tripping constantly. Water temp set at 60 deg.

I've replaced it with another completely new immersion heater and the damn thing keeps tripping - even when set at 50 deg !

I "Googled" the problem and the only successful resolution I can see is when someone put in a digital timer to switch their heater on/off. This would seem to be acting as a "filter" but appears to have cured their problem. The trip seems to be independent of temperature and so mains spikes may be the cause?

I've looked on Ebay for a 30amp mains filter (£20). This seems a bit pricy when I'm sure all thats required is a Capacitor - can anyone give any guidance/recommendations

OK - (12th July 2010) Follow on for anyone interested ?
Done some more digging and am fitting the mains filter in preference to the Capacitor because it contains inductors as well as capacitors and so will assist with any possible back EMF's and low frequency stuff which the capacitor wont. Its in the post so I'll fit and let you know if I get a "result" ?

17th July 2010. Filter installed and tested - no change, the damn thing still keeps tripping !
I even put an Oscilloscope on the output and this filter really does what is says on the tin. So back to the drawing board !!!!

Now I am running out of Ideas and Google isn't much help

By way of summary - I've fitted a new tank, new immersion heater (mounted vertically on top of a flat top cylinder) and there's a Surrey Flange fitted because I've installed a Power Shower

5th August
Sorted - bypassed the trip by connecting together the 2 female spade terminals with a male/male. Have installed a timer/booster switch which is ONLY EVER set to on for a max of 1.5 hours (to avoid overheat)
Perhaps its not the most eloquent solution but it works until someone can come up with better !

Many thanks

Bilko

Last edited:

Ask a Question