Immersion heater to instant hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have an immersion heater tank and it's leaking. So I need to replace.

As I only have a kitchen and wash basin to supply a big tank is both really needed.

Can I just replace this with a 3kw water heater even though it's not at the location of the taps..ie bed room airing cupboard.

It's a gravity fed system with a 3kw supply

Reaction score
Hi - looking at 3kw 'instantaneous' electric water heaters (on Ebay), what they majority seem to be are 'undersink' heaters, and they only seem to be good in the 30 deg. c to 50 deg. C maximum range (more like a low powered shower unit really) - and they don't even guarantee 50 C in winter if the water temp is low! so I doubt if installing one at some remote point would be any use, especially supplying a kitchen and wash basin, as you will have all the heat loss caused by pipework between the airing cupboard and the kitchen, etc. A slightly better solution might be to have separate heaters in the kitchen and wash basin, as they are fairly cheap - but you would need to install wiring to these obviously. And don't forget if you remove your hot water tank, you may gain room in the airing cupboard, but will loose the heat source that was drying your clothes/towels etc, and keeping the bathroom warm - if that's where it was located! but you will save a ton of money.... Is it not possible to fit a Gas instantaneous water heater somewhere, provided you have an outside wall and sufficient clearance for it's flue/vent outside? you need to speak to a Gas Safe engineer for this work.

Ask a Question