Immersion Heater only providing 3-5 litres of hot water

Reaction score
Hi ,
My flat only has an immersion heater in the hot water tank, no other form of water heating.
The water was not getting hot so I replaced the heater element with a 14" titanium immersion heater element, which fits horizontally towards the bottom of the hot water tank, and this seemed to work fine - i.e. you could hear the heater operating and eventually feel the pipes getting hot and after a couple of hours hot water was coming out of the taps :)

However...
If I do the washing up, using approx. 3 - 5 litres or so of water, in the evening, I find that the water is no better than lukewarm when I try and have a shower or bath in the morning.
To try and address this I now have the immersion heater switched on all the time (24 hours a day) - there is no timer switch fitted! - and I have turned the temperature to max on the end of the heater element, it was set to about three quarters - but these measures have not helped.

I have used a Voltage Detector Pen, to make sure there is current in the socket, cable, and the immersion heater element and voltage seems fine.

What could be going wrong? How can I fix? Please help if you can.

Thanks
Steve

Ask a Question