Wiring a immersion heater timer.

Reaction score
I have recently purchased a 'Dial' Digitial immersion Timer from B&Q.I find the electrical wiring written instructions in conflict with the wiring diagram. There are three terminals ON, OL & OL-out. The written wiring instruction states.
You should use brown coloured link cable between L & COM (Which of the above terminals is COM?) The mains conductor and link cables must be a) solid and b) both the same diameter. Under no circumstances must the cables of different diameters be used in the same terminal.

Any help much appreciated.

Amac

Reaction score
Hi Amac
You are right, that makes no sense at all.
I find that disgusting. B&Q should be concerned with electrical safety, not promoted with instructions like that.If you can post the diagram, i'm sure all will become clear. The other choice is to return to the store, demanding a refund, and NOT advice on wiring.

Reaction score
Hi Amac
You are right, that makes no sense at all.
I find that disgusting. B&Q should be concerned with electrical safety, not promoted with instructions like that.If you can post the diagram, i'm sure all will become clear. The other choice is to return to the store, demanding a refund, and NOT advice on wiring.

Reaction score
Thanks for the diagram. That at least does make perfect sense.
So neutral from supply together with neutral to heater in N
Permanent live from supply to L
Live to heater in L out
You will have to provide a suitable connection for the earths.
Written instructions as you quoted still make no sense.
I have to assume you are able to complete this work in safety.

Reaction score
Mmmmmmh. Still don't get the reference to link of same size cable between L & COM?

Reaction score
That would be due to there being no Com terminal. Those instructions are misleading, to put it mildly. I'm sure all will be fine if wired up as I've indicated.

Ask a Question