How do I secure a hinged lid wooden post box please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I have moved to a new home with an individual vintage wooden post box. mounted to the wall by the front door, for each flat. The lid of my box is hinged to allow the lid to be opened upward from front to back (so it's hinged at the back) and the lid slopes slightly downward from the back to the front. These boxes have no locks and, sadly, one of my new neighbours has been removing my post. Despite numerous requests to stop doing this he continues. He is a 90 year old gent so I don't want to get heavy with him as I am not even sure he is aware of what he is doing. Can anyone advise of the best way to secure my box to allow easy opening for me but not for anyone else. It's an old Dutch barn style building and the post boxes are made of dark green painted wood and I would want any lock etc to be sympathetic to the building. Has anyone got any ideas please?

Ask a Question