Secure a shelving unit to concrete wall

Reaction score
Hi all.. Last year I built a shallow shelving unit that is attached to a small, high cocktail table. It stands on it's own just fine but because the shelf is top heavy (and because I built it) it wobbles a lot. I was able to secure the shelving unit to the wall at my last place and that kept the whole thing steady but the new place I'm in had concrete walls. I don't have a drill with a hammering function although I tried with a normal drill and a masonry bit. It was taking a ridiculous amount of time so I gave up. I also tried the velcro command strips but because that back isn't flat (I built it out of pallet wood) they didn't work so well and it pulls away from the wall.

IMG_9541.JPG
IMG_9542.JPG
IMG_9543.JPG
IMG_9544.JPG

Any ideas on securing it to the wall or on stabilizing it??

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Unless you want to use over the top bracing, you're only real option is to fasten it to the wall - perhaps borrowing a better drill from a friend? It should take seconds to drill through concrete with a hammer drill, then it won't move an inch :). It's probably not what you wanted to hear, but it's worth doing properly.

Reaction score
Well it's reassuring to hear that it won't take long with an appropriate drill, I just wanted to see if there were other options but if that's the way it is then so be it:)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just make sure that you've got a drill bit suitable for concrete. A nice SDS drill or hammer drill is the way to go.

Reaction score
position the supports aginst the wall .Use a bubble level or laser level in esnuring that supports are level with each other.Insert the masonry drill bit into the drill, remmebr to wear the safety goggles and mask, insert the wall anchors into the holes

Ask a Question