Do I need to secure Bearers to the concrete shed base please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have just joined.

I have the pressure treated timber bearers ready. Can I lay them for the shed weight to hold them, or should they be secured somehow please?

If so, how

Regards

Reaction score
Hello, I have just joined.

I have the pressure treated timber bearers ready. Can I lay them for the shed weight to hold them, or should they be secured somehow please?

If so, how

Regards

Hi and welcome.

You're not giving us much information there.

Have a look through this thread as ther subject of sheds/summerhouses came up the other day.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quite right, thank you. I am making a small shed from timber and I have laid a base of gravel and then concrete. The timber bearers are to go on top of that with a damp proof membrane (I should have said so) and for the shed floor to go on top of that, . Normal procedure
I understand. It seems that some secure the bearers and some people do not. My posting is to help me make up my mind.

Thanks for the video and your welcome.
Regards

Reaction score
Quite right, thank you. I am making a small shed from timber and I have laid a base of gravel and then concrete. The timber bearers are to go on top of that with a damp proof membrane (I should have said so) and for the shed floor to go on top of that, . Normal procedure
I understand. It seems that some secure the bearers and some people do not. My posting is to help me make up my mind.

Thanks for the video and your welcome.
Regards
Our sumerhouse/Japanese tea-house or "tea-shed" as we call it would be classed as a temporary building as it just sits on the supports.
You'd be as well to get the joists up off the gravel by placing some bits of paving stones on top of it in a few places, then sit the joists on bricks on top of them, with some insulation between the joists and the bricks.
The important thing with a wooden building is to get some air circulation under it. Hopefully it'll be there for quite some time.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The second song. What's relaxing about that !!

A juke box without " Shotgun Wedding by Roy C isn't complete.

Reaction score
I did say "Or not!"

I've had a change around since the first video.
The larger of the two has;
30 X 50s/60s pop (No Cliff Richards, Beatles or Rolling Stones, not a fan)
30 X 70s/80s pop
10 X Doo-Wop
10 X Classic Standards

The other has 50 X Motown or similar. (No Diana Ross or Supremes, I can't stand her whiney voice and she wasn't the best singer in that group). I like a lot of the other black girl groups of the sixties

The problem with jukeboxes is that if you want to add a record, you have to chose one to take out. I ring the changes now and again so I've quite a few presently out of favour but they may get a chance in time.

This is my latest addition.

My wife won't allow me to have either jukebox in the house, there isn't really the room for them with all my other gear.

But these are a compromise.

It's all about "Nostalgia,"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not just nostalgia, the music was good. Very good.

I don't wish to digress but any more on whether I should secure my timber bearers of not?

Best

Reaction score
It's entirely up to you.
The weight of the shed should stop it from moving.

Mine aren't and haven't been for 33 years. I've only had the jukeboxes in there for ten years or so. They each weigh around 300lb.
I had no Idea when I built it that this building would be used to accommodate anything other than some garden furniture etc., as well as occasionally, a few people.

I checked the levels about seven years ago and noticed a lean of about an inch to one corner. So I was able to stick my car jack under that corner, raise it up and then put bits of slate between the joist and the pier support. That got it level again.

I wouldn't have been able to do that if the joists had been screwed down.

I check it every year and it's not moved since.

Ask a Question