How do I remove a data cable from a mortor joint?

Reaction score
I need to remove a data cable that has been cemented into the brick joint.

How would I remove it?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it an armoured cable at all, or protected by anything?

If it's not too deep and isn't carrying power, I'd probably try and break up the mortar with a chisel to loosen it and then try to pull it out.

Reaction score
I'd think a couple different approaches might be OK. If the cable is inactive and you don't need it, I'd chop off the end(s) , tuck in the buried part and put a dab of mortar in the holes. If you need to get it all out intact the chisel approach sounds good. There are chisels available for not too much $$$ that are made to chop out mortar joints. Might be just tool you need. Another idea, maybe slowly drill into the mortar with a carbide bit to loosen up the mortar before chiseling.

Reaction score
How do you know it's a data cable?
First, sack the person who did it.
If it's a CAT type ethernet cable, standard sheath and cores, it probably has had it.
You could spend a lot of time trying to remove it and then find it's damaged.
I would cut my losses and chop it off both sides of the wall.
Make up new connectors, RJ 45 for CAT cables and drill a new hole, line it with conduit and put a new section in.
If it's armoured, then you might be able to chisel out around it to release it.
I'm afraid that without more information than "data cable", most of this is guesswork.

Ask a Question