Cannot remove GU10 bulb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have tried unscrewing it, but it never comes out, it never stops turning. I have tried removing the fixture from the ceiling slightly in case picture is useful. Have these all through the house and haven’t been able to remove any by turning.

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The GU-10 lamps we have in our house have this as a base. See picture below. With this type, you press inward with slight pressure, turn CCW about 1/8" of a full rotation, then they "pop" out. You may have to remove this lamp destructively, and see if the GU-10's base is loose from the pot light's inner chassis. In this case, you'd be rotating the entire assemble, only to twist/tighten the two (2) wires.

I'd suggest, put on some gloves, smash the lamp, and look inside. If you have lots of these in your house, your going to have to learn about them.

1674680826041.png

Reaction score
Beat me to it.

GU10 is bayonet, no screwing involved.

If it's turning, then the chances are you have unscrewed the lamp holder as well.

GU10s can be so and so's to get out, but usually a little rocking backwards and forwards eases them out.

Early Megaman GU10's used to come with a rubber suction cup that you stuck on the glass lens to rotate it.

If the lamp is well recessed and the holder is turning, then you will have to take the light fitting out altogether and you might find some screws on the back that will allow you to take it apart.

Otherwise replace the lot.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have never been a proponent of low-voltage (12v) in a wooden structure. Amperage creates heat, and I've seen NUMEROUS low voltage lights start on fire because of heat, which in turn, comes from AMPERAGE.

Electrical math:
Wattage / Voltage = Amperage
50Watt lamp operating at 120vac = .416 Amps
however,
50Watt lamp operating at 12v = 10 Amps (that 24X the HEAT)

True, MR16 pull out easy......but they get too hot!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
My bad: I had to correct this last post I just read.

Electrical math:
Wattage / Voltage = Amperage
50Watt lamp operating at 120vac = .416 Amps
however,
50Watt lamp operating at 12v = 4.16 Amps (that 10X the HEAT)

Ask a Question