Cannot locate studs in wall

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was recently burglarized and all of my tools were stolen. I have gradually been replacing them as I can afford them. But I have not purchased a stud finder yet. I have been trying to locate a wall stud by knocking, and with magnets to no avail. So in desperation, I took a 3/32 drill bit and drilled 34 holes that were spaced 3/4" apart and never struck a stud.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I don't have a builders answer. How easy would it be to remove a length of skirting board! then below the top of were the skirting is, insert a flush cut saw (they are pretty slim) the carefully run the saw horizontally from left to right or visa versa and hopefully you should make contact with a stud and it shouldn't be too much of a job to repair the slot.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you drilled 34 hole 3/4 inches apart that should be a distance of 34 x .75 = 25.5. If your wall was built using standard construction techniques for wood framed walls you should have found a stud at 16 or 24 inches. You may have drilled a stud and not know it. If you can find a existing stud I would measure 16 inches over (most common for framed walls) or 24 inches over and try there. Magnets only work if they used ferrous metal screws or nails. The edges of windows frames have to have studs on each side, or start from a corner and measure 16 inches.

Reaction score
Another approach to at least hint at where to look is to measure 16 and/or 24 inches from where there is an electric box. Almost always they are attached to a stud, one side or the other which ought not to be too hard to see if you take off the plate cover.

Reaction score
If a decent high powered rare earth magnet isn't finding nails or screws, then it's either glued or they used non-magnetic fixings.
I'm afraid the electrical box attached to stud method doesn't mean that's what they did, but if you remove the box, you should be able to slide in a wireman's tape or net curtain wire to feel where the stud is.
As has been suggested, if the studs are somewhere up to 24" apart,, then drilling holes, carefully, should find them.
If you see sawdust then you've struck stud.
If the lights go out you've hit a cable.
If it spurts water, you've hit a pipe.
Stud finders don't work very well if the plasterboard is foil-backed.
Sometimes, an upholsterer's strong needle is better than drilling.
If all else fails, cut a hole big enough to put your hand through and feel for it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was recently burglarized and all of my tools were stolen. I have gradually been replacing them as I can afford them. But I have not purchased a stud finder yet. I have been trying to locate a wall stud by knocking, and with magnets to no avail. So in desperation, I took a 3/32 drill bit and drilled 34 holes that were spaced 3/4" apart and never struck a stud.
I'm sorry to take so long to get back to all of you folks but I've been ill. Another big problem is this is an apartment and I'm not even supposed to be doing what I'm doing much less using a stud, but I need one desperately. This particular wall has no light switch or outlet anywhere. When facing the wall, to the right is a corner, and then the door jamb. When drilling all these holes I looked for wood each time when I pulled the bit and I also never felt one bit of resistance like I was drilling into a stud. It is so mysterious to me. This project isn't something that has to be done right away so I guess I'll just wait until I can purchase a decent stud finder. Any information you would share on your choice of a stud finder would be appreciated. Keep in mind, I don't even know if I'll ever use one again except this one time. Thanks for taking the time for me.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I hope you are doing well. WIll resin help in plugging those holes?

Review of Black+Decker Bullseye BDL 190S

"Use the device first to find hidden objects inside your wall, including studs, metal pipes, wooden support beams, and live AC wires. The device works on drywall, lathe, plaster, and concrete walls. Just depress the power button—you’ll need to keep it depressed with your thumb or finger while you work—slide the device across the wall in your targeted work area, and listen for a beep when the tool encounters a stud or other object inside the wall."

Hope this helps

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Use a small neodymium magnet, As per Marine Bob's post, go any electrical plug. Slide the magnet up/left/over/below the box until you feel the grab. Leave magnet there. Measure 16" to the LEFT & RIGHT (16" for wall, or 24" for ceilings) and try to locate another nail with the magnet.

Too, a good way of getting a GENERAL idea is where the studs are, hold an incandescent (low wattage) right against the will shinning from your waist up, no glare in your eyes, keep. Usually the nails/screws are concealed well enough and you'll begin to vertical lines of about every 20-30". Use your magnet again to verify a "suspect" nail by the "search light" method.

Ask a Question