Help!

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
i bought silly light fixtures from IKEA which need a hook (sold separately ) to stay on the ceiling. so I got the hook and thought I’d do it myself.
now I’m in a bit of a mess.
I needed to remove the ceiling rose fixture to fit the flat hook and I assumed I could just take any one of the multiple lives and any one of the multiple neutrals. I closed off the rest with electrical tape. Now none of my lights on that circuit are working.
can someone please advise me. I’ve attached pictures of what was there and what I have now.

I only need a live and a neutral for the new light. Basically how do I know which live and neutral to use and what do I do with the rest of the live and neutrals.

thank you so much for any help

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The rose is a junction box for a loop-in lighting circuit. These normally have 3x twin and earth cables coming in to the rose. One cable brings the power from the previous light in the circuit, one takes it on to the next light, and one is the switch cable. You seem to have 12 conductors in the rose so presumably there is something else attached to the circuit. By breaking the connections in the rose you have taken power off the other lights in the circuit.

You need a neutral and a switched live to feed the light. In your first picture these are the two short lengths of wire dangling from the rose. If you still know which conductors were linked together it should be simple to connect up your new light. If not you will have to test to determine which cable serves what purpose.

Ask a Question