Garage door goes up, but not down

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey everyone, hoping someone might be able to help me. For several months now, we've been having issues with our garage door.

If the door is closed and you press the wall switch, it opens about six inches and then stops. If you press the switch again, it goes all the way up with no problem.

If the door is open and you press the wall switch, nothing happens. It doesn't budge. It isn't as if it's trying to close and it can't, it's like it's not getting a signal at all. If you release the door from the track, the motor kicks on.

The sensor eyes are clean and connected (one green light one red light, it you stand in front of it the red light blinks), I've adjusted the closing force as high as it can go, I made a quick visual inspection of the circuit board and nothing looks loose or corroded. Any ideas?

The fact that the motor kicks on when you release the door from the track would suggest there's something blocking the door from closing, right? But we've been opening/closing the door for months and it feels smooth. Is there anything I should look for, or could try?

It's a Genie Intellicode, not sure of the model number. Fairly old, though. It was installed by the previous owners.

Thanks!

Ask a Question