Fence height on uneven ground.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is complicated so will give contributors something to get their teeth into. I live in an old miners cottage and the boundaries are somewhat random. When they were built (1850s ish), it was a block of 6 cottages, three at the front and 3 at the rear and were all owned by one man. They were literally one up one down. There was also a block of pig pens in the garden. Over time 2 pairs of cottages have been combined so there are now 4. The terrace was L shaped and the one cottage was larger anyway as it was the foremans cottage.

As they were sold off individually a garden plot was allocated to each, but as mine was the last to be sold it included pretty much everything that was left. So I own the path along the side of the block, which leads onto the path at the rear of the block, and also up to where the old pig pens used to be. However although I own it, there is a right of way over the paths. My neighbours garden is separated from his property by the path which I own. He also owns the only remining pig pen which again is separated from both his property and garden by the path which is mine. The land where the other pig pens were belongs to me and I have a shed and some decking in it.

At some point in history his garden has been raised/levelled and a boundary wall about 4ft high has been built to retain the earth. He has now put up a garden fence which is 5ft high, and in effect created a fence some 9th high on my side. This completely blocks evening sunlight from the path and the decking and when sitting on the deck all you see is a 9ft fence.

What can I do???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I doubt you can do anything about the fence markie other than live with it. Our next door neighbour has a similar fence but from her side with the retaining wall it must be 16' high; it would have been more neighbourly for your neighbour to erect a mesh type fence allowing sunlight through?

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

I doubt you can do anything about the fence markie other than live with it. Our next door neighbour has a similar fence but from her side with the retaining wall it must be 16' high; it would have been more neighbourly for your neighbour to erect a mesh type fence allowing sunlight through?

Kind regards, Colin.
matches and a little lighter fluid

Reaction score
Country
United States
Infact, a nearby owner has the right to alter their property but not yours.

"Beauty and View" is certainly a registered property value.

As far as sunlight: you need to show photos. We have no idea if you are on 2 acres or 10' of back yard. And working it back from you description is ... more trouble than it's worth.

Spite Fences are legal - per say - not always. Infact front fences and back fencing there are differences

Have you ever seen a spite fence in the front yard of a downtown urban street america? No. But if it were legal you might. It isn't.

Ask a Question