Fence problem

Reaction score
Greetings to everyone,

I erected our fence in April of this year. As the months went on I started noticing a gap forming between the post and panel. Though it was due to the weather, wood contracting. It only became obvious months later when the panels at the far right started to bow inwards. The neighbour behind me had their driveway stoned. Behind my fence there is 8” of stones which are resting on my panels causing the pressure. I guess eventually it will cause more damage. It was not professional of their people to use my fence as a retainer. I am unsure of what to say to them.

My solution would be move the stones away from my fence, place strips of wood long and high enough to hold the stones away the fence. The wood would be resting on the fence posts, like a skirting.
Any thoughts, ideas, comments appreciated. I don’t trust their people to be messing about with my fence theref would rather do it myself.

Thankyou ,

Pamela.

Reaction score
I'd be very sure what to say to them. Ask them to get their contractor back and rectify the damage. It's your neighbour's responsibility, so if the contractor won't come back, they are legally bound to get someone else in to do it or do it themselves.

Reaction score
Hello Doghouse Riley,
That would be the right thing to do. I believe her contractors were shoddy hence why I am considering doing it myself. Next thing I know I’ll have some huge concrete slabs up against my fence. My next door neighbours fence also falls as her side one. The contractors thought it was okay to go into next doors garden and prop their fence (which is her left side fence) with wood. it looked hideous and was in the way. Therefore I don’t trust her contractors however it would be a first step maybe. She is clueless and seems to get cowboys.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Personally, I would go over there when she's not at home, and rake the washed gravel a few inches away from the fence. Even it out, so it looks nice, and leave. She likely won't notice if it's done neatly. It keeps the peace, no boats rocked, simple life.

If the gravel has bowed the bottom panel of the fence in places, leave it alone for a while, it might reflex/recover back to original, or close to it. If your not satisfied with the fence after a few months, pound in some 2" cedar stakes (midway between fence posts) to encourage the bottom beam of the fence to straighten. With some mechanical encouragement (the stakes), some rain/sun, rain/sun, rain,sun over a few months, wood will generally shape as you direct it.

Ask a Question