DIY experience: Waterproof electric wire and replacing valve

Reaction score
Two weeks ago, In my back yard I heard 'ZiZiZi..' sound. It was like electric wire touched water and got short circuit. I followed the sound and found there was water leak in the pipe and valve. The electric wire for the sprinkler valves got messed up and under water.

messed-wire.JPG

1. Replace the leaking valve
I went to the local store called "JC Plumbing 'N' Things" and bought a new value to replace the old 3/4 inch valve as chart shows

replacedvalve.JPG

old valve; old-valve.JPG

2. Obviously the electric wire got wet and tend to be short circuit when there were water leak or when it was raining. I bought wire connector from amazon and reconnected them using the wire connectors so that it could be waterproof as I also used tape to enhance it. The ‘ZiZiZi..” sound disappeared even though the wires touched water.
https://www.amazon.com/Connectors-Connection-Extension-connector-Electrical/dp/B075L7R79R/ref=sr_1_5?m=A32VEWD8W4GHKQ&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1544919044&sr=1-5&th=1

newconnect.JPG

I realized that As long as I can spend time to try it by myself, sometime, I can also get it done well for the small problems in the plumbing system.

Reactions: Ian
Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
A month ago, my water heater was replaced because of leaking.The water heater is about "9 years old". it cost me 2700$. But I have to ask professional to do it. From now, I try to learn to solve small problems, so-called DIY...

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Zhoufang, You need to be very careful here. If your pictures are accurate then your potential for problems can be enormous. As the three pictures go I'm a tad worried.

What is the purpose of the extension cord?
All wire has a TYPE (Insulation) code and depending on that code you know how a wire can be used. For example, THW-2 is a type of cable that can be used in either wet or dry locations.

What type wire did you install?

Also, using tap as a waterproofing agent is forbidden. You can use the tape inside of a waterproof or raintight box to help, but it cannot be the first line of protection.

Ask a Question