Cracks on garage wall

Reaction score
We're purchasing a house which I noticed had a quite a large crack on the outside wall of the garage. When viewing the garage from inside you could see a hairline crack in the thermalite bricks too. Is this a big problem?

The house is only 2 years old so undertstand that there will be settlement but wondered what would cause such a crack to appear and if it's an easy problem to fix.

Reaction score
A crack visible inside and outside is never good especially for a 2 year old house.
There are many reasons that can explain this crack, like upheaval, frost heave, slippage, lumber and concrete shrinkage, and compression stress caused by insect damage.Whatever the cause is, fixing it will not be that easy.
Good luck

Reaction score
I'm no engineer but - if the cracks do not increase in size over a period of say six months - I would not worry about it. Re-plaster + paint.

If the crack(s) widen or there is further evidence of movement - get a structural engineer in. Repair is easy enough but can be quite expensive.

Reaction score
perhaps it is not that serious. the problem is, it really doesnt look nice.
just like cad-resource said, replaster and paint it. i think itll be OK.
Good luck.

Reaction score
Hi,
IF there are cracks in the house, the problem can be because of various reasons. There can be reasons like the insects or the problem can be because of the water leakage nearby. Rising damp can be one of the cause. It is a major cause of decay to masonry materials like stone, brick and even mortars. Rising damp is also shown as a high-tide-like stain on wallpaper, and other interior finishes and when it remains for a long time, it will result in blistering paints, and loss of plaster. It makes the building unsightly and unpleasant to occupy. Before shifting in the house, take a professional's help and ask him to inspect the whole house.

Wish you Good Luck.

Reaction score
You should not worry about it, just re-plaster and paint, may have some expenses to it

Reaction score
Like cad-resource said, the thing you should watch out for is if the crack is opening wider. If it's not, then you have nothing much to worry about.

Ask a Question