Cracks in concrete slab

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help with identifying the likely cause of the cracks in the concrete internal concrete slab ? It is in a house I have purchased so dont know anything re when laid or method .
Thanks

Attachments

Reaction score
Hi and welcome.

You aren't giving us much to go on here.

Where exactly is this in the house?
From what I can see, the cracks look quite old.
It's unlikely that they would affect the structure of the house.
It could be that the floor was laid in stages and this effect can happen with different mixes of concrete.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I would say that there are two types of concrete when it comes to cracks: Crack free, just after it's poured. And cracked; all poured concrete after a variable amount of time. Must pros will score a pour so the eventual crack follows a straight line. Absent that, when things eventually settle, it will crack one way or another. It would be technically possible to pour a thick enough slab to prevent cracking, but in a residential setting the cost would be HUGE. The real question is what are your plans? How uneven is the floor? Do you plan to cover it? You could remove and re-pour a slab, level it and cover - like with a solid laminate - that can take moisture, or if it's a workshop or utility space, caulk the cracks (mainly to abate any radon gas seepage. Good luck!

Reaction score
Can anyone help with identifying the likely cause of the cracks in the concrete internal concrete slab ? It is in a house I have purchased so dont know anything re when laid or method .
Thanks
Its quite likely a cement screed its difficult to tell from the picture but if it is I would remove and redo the sand/cement screed any more info
needed just ask

Reaction score
Country
India
Shrinkage is a common reason for cracking. As concrete hardens and dries it shrinks. This is due to the evaporation of excess mixing water. In a concrete slab, control joints help concrete crack where you want it to.

Ask a Question