Ceiling fan - adding separate switch controls, use 14/3 or just add another 14/2 wire

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently installed a ceiling fan in a bedroom to replace an old light. It was already wired with 14/2, so the light and fan are currently controlled with the one switch and we use the pull chains if we want the light on and the fan off, OR if we want the light off and the fan on.

My kids can not reach the pull chains and would like it controlled with separate switches to eliminate the need to use the pull chains. So my question is, should I pull the 14/2 wire out and replace it with 14/3 wire, or is just adding a 14/2 wire acceptable?

If I use the 14/3 wire going from the switch to the ceiling fan, I would use the red wire to power the light kit.

If I add another 14/2 wire, I would pigtail the neutrals/grounds together and use the new black "hot" wire to power the light kit. Is this acceptable or just a little sloppy since this is not the ideal way to control a ceiling fan and light with separate switches.

I do not think adding a second 14/2 wire is dangerous in anyway, but was not sure if this would be against any code or would just be highly discouraged.

Since I would have to add a new wire either way, is it just best to pull the 14/2 and add a 14/3 instead of adding another 14/2 with the existing 14/2 wire?

Thanks for the advice.

Reaction score
With respect to code, adding a new 14 AWG wire would be a violation, unless the other wires are inside conduit and you can pull the needed wire through the conduit. Code requires that all wires for a circuit be contained within either a cable or conduit.

That said, I would pull a 14/3 cable, with ground. Also remember that current code requires the Neutral as well as equipment ground be in the box as well. This is incase you might want to add a specialty switch, such as a pilot light switch for either or both outlet boxes.

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. When i mentioned adding a 14/2 wire, i did mean adding a complete romex wire with a hot, neutral, & neutral. Not just a single black 14 gauge wire. Sorry if there was any confusion about this. Since i would be adding another romex wire either way (either adding 14/2 wires or just using 14/3 wires), I figure it would be best at that point just to add 14/3 awg wires but was not sure if code only allowed one way or the other.

Thanks!

Ask a Question