Weirdly wired ceiling fan

Reaction score
Country
United States
We just bought a new house and there was a ceiling fan in the guest room with no light kit. I bought a light kit from Home Depot -- seemed like it would be simple enough. Two wires even had a tag on them that said "Light" ... easy-peasy.

Hooked it up and flipped the light back on at the breaker and... no lights. I looked at it more closely and noticed the way the previous owner wired the fan and it looks weird. Looks like he bypassed the reverse-switch. In fact, I tried the switch and it just shuts the fan off.

I've diagramed the wiring (below). Any suggestions on how to rewire this? I'm not worried about the reverse-switch (as I never use that feature) but I need the fan to work (3 speeds) and the lights to work. Thanks in advance.

1639343262740.png

Reaction score
Country
Canada
If you can post the manufacturer name and catalog number, I'll look at it.

Clearly, you've spent time producing your drawing, and Thanks for that!!....but, a ceiling fan manufacturer name and catalog number is best.

Regards,

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you can post the manufacturer name and catalog number, I'll look at it.

Clearly, you've spent time producing your drawing, and Thanks for that!!....but, a ceiling fan manufacturer name and catalog number is best.

Regards,
I appreciate that, but it came with the house and I just looked… I don’t see any branding on the fan itself anywhere. Short of just looking through hundreds of ceiling fan pictures, I’m not sure how to find that.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Ok, well, I'll look at your picture some more to see if I can help.......

Ask a Question