Re-position wired doorbell help

Reaction score
We would like to reposition our front doorbell so that it remains wired and is better positioned for a ring.com product (see photo). The wall behind the doorbell and at the new doorbell position is cinderblock, which may be filled with cement. Behind the wall (at the old and proposed doorbell position) is a clothes closet. Is it possible to move the doorbell position and rewire it at the new position? If it is, is a difficult job?

Reaction score
Should be fairly straight forward. You will have to open a portion of the the wall and ceiling in the closet to gain access to the wire. The wire most likely passes through the top plate into the valley and then is fed out through the cinder block wall. Remove the button and pull the wire out. Drill a new hole through the top plate in the area you plan to install the button at and pull the wire down into the valley. Use a hammer drill to drill through the masonry at the new location and fish the wire through the hole. A 1/4" hole should suffice. Wire your new button up and install in the new location per manufacture directions. Fill the hole where the wire previously passed through with hydraulic cement (sold in tubs in the masonry aisle of both home depot and lowes). If you cut carefully you should be able to reuse the drywall cut outs. Install nailers as needed, tape, mud, sand, and paint.

Reaction score
Thank you, dovetail. We've been thinking this project through a bit better. In the photo above you can see that the doorbell hides behind the hurricane shutters we had installed. It's possible this position might still work. We'll have to test it under battery power to see if the hurricane shutters block the view too much. We won't know until we test it.

An alternative to re-positioning the doorbell is to build something on the current doorbell spot that moves the doorbell away from the wall a bit--perhaps a piece of 4x4 with holes drilled to allow the doorbell wires through the middle and to mount it to the wall with two anchors. We'd then caulk it and paint it so that it looks decent and matches the house paint. Any suggestions on how else we might move the doorbell out about 5-6 inches from the wall at its current position?

Thanks again.

Reaction score
If I were you I would just take out the actual doorbell button and cover it. Then I would buy a blutooth wireless door bell and do with out the hassle of rewiring the one which already exists. Plus the ones I saw on Amazon only costs about $24 and has 50 pre-loaded doorbell tones.

Reaction score
If I were you I would just take out the actual doorbell button and cover it. Then I would buy a blutooth wireless door bell and do with out the hassle of rewiring the one which already exists. Plus the ones I saw on Amazon only costs about $24 and has 50 pre-loaded doorbell tones.
We covered the actual doorbell and installed a battery-operated video doorbell at the new site. It works well. We may move the wiring, but right now there's jut no need.

Reaction score
Yeah those are nice and have added security to the factor because you can actually see who is at the door before you even get up to answer the door. Just don't be like those stupid people who get blutooth locks for their homes where they can unlock the house via cellphone. I have a home insurance friend and he says it is to the point where common sense tells him to void the contract because of the risks involved in blutooth locks.

Ask a Question