Cat safety for balcony railing ledge

Reaction score
We have a large 2nd story balcony at our new house that our cats like to hang out on. The railing is about 7" wide and 2" thick, so the cats are able to get on top of it and walk around, which makes us very nervous.

I'm trying to construct something that will make it safer for them to walk around up there. The thought isn't to make it escape proof, just to prevent them from accidentally falling off if they fall asleep or there's a strong gust of wind or something.

My thought is to install plexiglass along the outer edge of the railing, about 1' in height.

Should I screw the plexiglass directly into the wood of the railing, or should I use some kind of plate to attach it? The house is a rental, so I would like to minimize any permanent damage/changes. A few screw holes should not be a big deal.

Open to any and all suggestions! Thanks!

Attachments

Reaction score
Railing would be a better option in terms of both aesthetic value and functionality. As the house is a rental, it also should minimize permanent damage. Anyway, I'd ask the landlord for permission, if I were you.

Ask a Question