Return Air Duct relocating

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good Morning:
I need to relocate my cold air return plenum which is currently in a closet and not functioning properly. I was told that it should never have been ran to an enclosed closet.

Please see pic and give me some advice.

Could I fabricate where it is currently at and run it to the wall which goes into the hallway with a nice return grate?

Thank you.
Mark

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
Canada
A cold-air intake leading into a closed space is absolutely no good. Your idea of venting it through the wall with a decorative grill is fine.

You likely find you velocity will increase now as the fan isn't being suffocated of fresh air. Too, your heating/cooling efficiency will increase as you won't be pulling in SO much outside fresh air, rather, more recirc air.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good Morning. Thank you for your reply. One final advice. The plenum that you see in the pic measures about 14x14. I willmake the box a little wider. So when I head to the wall, should the wall vent be the same size as the one coming off the floor? This is the only return in the whole house. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
14x14 is a pretty generous size. You can down size that a bit.....14x10, 12x12, 12x10....those are all ok. Don't go too much smaller than these though (example: 6x6). The more you restrict the return air, the less velocity. If you don't have AC, less velocity isn't a huge issue, but your furnace is going to run longer to satisfy the stat.

Ask a Question