Building a work table from old bed frames (newbie)

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Beginner DIY here. Im going to attempt to build a work table for my garage out of a few old bed frame materials and maybe buy a sheet of plywood for the top.

I've got these planks(21pcs) that are 7 1/2" wide x 39" long about 5/8" thick

And I've got long pieces(6pc) that are 5 3/8" wide x 75" long about 1 1/8" thick
Attached Photos of pieces I'm working with, also solid wood headboards(not pictured) available that I can cut down if I need any more.

So far my game plan was to glue the smaller planks in 2's so theyd be about 1 1/2" thick and use these for legs (cut to size).

Then use the long pieces as the sides of the table; length wise. 4 pcs total for bottom and top. (will keep it close to a 75" long table height maybe around 34")

And screw them all together with some glue, just straight screw wood into wood (at 90 deg?)
Tools I have: Jig saw, circular saw, screw drivers, glue, drills, square, bubble leveler, light duty clamps.

Is this going to be a terrible table? Any ideas or things to change?

I have 0 experience. Any input helpful!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Can I suggest you use 3x3 fence posts for the legs, you will get a much more robust table, your flat timber will screw into these, use 4 level with the top of the legs and 4 near the bottom, about 6-8 inches of the floor, then screw diagonal struts one each side , this will give you a rigid frame, top off with about 1 inch thick ply, overhang this from the frame by about 2 inches. hope this helps and good luck.

Ask a Question