Outbuilding into habitable room

Reaction score
Hi,
I want to convert an outbuilding I have into a habitbable room
Its a single skin building with concreete floor DPM on bricks only.
It currently has battons on breeze blocks and uses polystyreen insulation and some clear plastic. acting as a membrane then coverd by thin MDF pannelling. sort of like a scout hut type affair.

I wanted to ask whether I should
a) Rip it all out and start again
b) Keep what I have build a stud wall over the top with sound proofing and insulation etc I dont think I would need a membrane in this instance.
C) remove the mdf panels and do the studwork fixing into the exisitng battons (not sure whether to put a membrae in on this option

The floor will have to put a membrane down and build a suspended floor above the dpm layer on the brick walls.

Maybe this is all wrong if so could someone put me onto the right track.

Thanks

Reaction score
Hi,
I want to convert an outbuilding I have into a habitbable room
Its a single skin building with concreete floor DPM on bricks only.
It currently has battons on breeze blocks and uses polystyreen insulation and some clear plastic. acting as a membrane then coverd by thin MDF pannelling. sort of like a scout hut type affair.

I wanted to ask whether I should
a) Rip it all out and start again
b) Keep what I have build a stud wall over the top with sound proofing and insulation etc I dont think I would need a membrane in this instance.
C) remove the mdf panels and do the studwork fixing into the exisitng battons (not sure whether to put a membrae in on this option

The floor will have to put a membrane down and build a suspended floor above the dpm layer on the brick walls.

Maybe this is all wrong if so could someone put me onto the right track.

Thanks
Will offer that if not properly insulated it will be extremely costly to keep comfortable. So keep that in mind and no shortcuts.
Have seen endless grages made into living spaces and they drain and unbalance the coolong and heating and very costly-- because openended.
Just saying.
People do not think of this until too late.

Reaction score
In case anyone in the future reads this.
I ripped everything out.
I put in a membrane down built a floating floor Insulated and topped with ply. Really great floor now. I would strongly pay the small extra for ply as opposed to chipboard floor. Due to just working , building in the room. chipboard would be ruined by now. I Studded the walls 400 centres on top of the ply insulated. 50mm in floor and 75mm in walls, 100 in ceiling. Pop some air bricks in. All seems good

Ask a Question