Band Saw Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Clarke's bandsaw which has been working well until I changed the blade to make more accurate recutting with a wider blade. The saw worked well with some accurate cuts for a few goes but has stopped working. The motor runs but the blade doesn't want to move. This happens intermittently, often after I have stopped work. I turn power off, open up the machine, play around with cleaning it out a bit. The only thing ive noted of curiosity is that the blade tension is on about maximum for the machine even though the blade is 16mm and the machine can take 20mm. This is due to me testing it with finger pressure on the bade at the cutting point to try and stop it having more than 2mm flexing, as my manual suggests (I hope that makes sense). Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be the problem? Thanks

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

I have a Clarke's bandsaw which has been working well until I changed the blade to make more accurate recutting with a wider blade. The saw worked well with some accurate cuts for a few goes but has stopped working. The motor runs but the blade doesn't want to move. This happens intermittently, often after I have stopped work. I turn power off, open up the machine, play around with cleaning it out a bit. The only thing ive noted of curiosity is that the blade tension is on about maximum for the machine even though the blade is 16mm and the machine can take 20mm. This is due to me testing it with finger pressure on the bade at the cutting point to try and stop it having more than 2mm flexing, as my manual suggests (I hope that makes sense). Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be the problem? Thanks
After a few monthe without a reply I was wondering if you have solved your Clarke band saw problem?

You mention the motor runs but I have some questions. (1) Is the drive belt sheave rotating when the motor runs (2) is the driven belt sheave rotating and (3) is the lower wheel rotating?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a similar problem with a bandsaw that had been used by my son. It turned out that he had put oil on the blade to prevent rust. Of course, this meant it had a perfectly oiled surface and slipped on the drive wheel. A quick wipe down of the blade (once removed) and wheel with spirit degreased it. After that, it worked perfectly and my 46-year old son was banned from the workshop.

Colin

Reactions: Ian

Ask a Question