Diy axminster band saw; spare part requiredI

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have the small axminster band saw and the drive belt has disintegrated.. its about 12 yrs old and I think we're originally badged as "record" although unfortunately manufactured in the PRC. (Where else) . No problem I assumed , a quick Google and back in business. Not quite and didn't bother contacting axminster from where it was purchased, as on delivery there was defective part which I was prepared to replace. No chance, they do not supply spares; send it back and they will replace it. !! Yes, the whole thing.

Has anyone got ideas of where I might get replacement belt.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Colin
thanks for your quick response. Have just ordered what I hope is the correct belt for my band saw, from, as you suggested, "drive belt solutions" Fingers crossed. Will keep you informed.

Just for general information; to complete the job I had started I used a Japanese rip saw, again from Axminster. First time of real use and wow. Most impressed. Two 6' length at 45 degrees and held the line perfectly...... well good enough for garden furniture quality anyway.

Thanks again
Chris

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

You're most welcome Chris; I hope it works out for you. If ever you need drive belts for machinery; most bearing suppliers sell them; both bearings and drive belts are cheap; I tend to use SKF bearings and eBay is a good source for both bearings and belts.

You'll have a big smile on your face now having used your rip saw successfully for the first time; if you're new to using power tools and machinery please be extra careful; a former neighbour bought a new Aldi mitre saw; he was installing a new wooden staircase; I trimmed the thick newel posts to length for him on my big chop saw but when I offered to trim the spindles he thanked me but he was keen to try his new saw out. It took two years visiting Bradford hospital where he had his entirely severed thumb reattached to his hand then lots of plastic surgery; the saw removed his thumb right back at his hand and he never felt a thing until later when the shock wore off.

I've just been replacing the blade on my metal cutting horizontal bandsaw so we're both playing with bandsaws. :D

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

You're most welcome Chris; I hope it works out for you. If ever you need drive belts for machinery; most bearing suppliers sell them; both bearings and drive belts are cheap; I tend to use SKF bearings and eBay is a good source for both bearings and belts.

You'll have a big smile on your face now having used your rip saw successfully for the first time; if you're new to using power tools and machinery please be extra careful; a former neighbour bought a new Aldi mitre saw; he was installing a new wooden staircase; I trimmed the thick newel posts to length for him on my big chop saw but when I offered to trim the spindles he thanked me but he was keen to try his new saw out. It took two years visiting Bradford hospital where he had his entirely severed thumb reattached to his hand then lots of plastic surgery; the saw removed his thumb right back at his hand and he never felt a thing until later when the shock wore off.

I've just been replacing the blade on my metal cutting horizontal bandsaw so we're both playing with bandsaws. :D

Kind regards, Colin.
Hello again Colin
The belt arrived, it looked right and it was right. Up and working again! Brilliant service from drive belt solution. Fair price and fair postage.

I am no newcomer to d.i.y..My first project , a pair of hi fi speaker built in the sixties with nothing more than a ratchet brace and a 3/8 bit , a tenon saw, that really wanted to cut gentle curves and pocket full of dowels. They sounded awful, but looked great. Honest. From there on its been downhill!

Over the years I have built a collection of power tools and survived except for a minor incident with a power planer. Clearing the chips on run down. Stupid. The main thing I have learnt over the years and only recently, is to buy the best you can afford

Cheers, Chris
PS. have good Christmas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm pleased it worked out for you Chris and you've now got your bandsaw singing again. Thanks for the update it's much appreciated.

Patience is the key to a well equipped workshop unless of course unlimited funds are available. I too had to start off with only a handful of tools the only power tool I had was a single speed B&D drill which I still have and it still works but lives in a cupboard.

My workshop keeps evolving and now I've also made two very sturdy garden huts to house my gardening kit so at last my workshop is a workshop not doubling up as a store. It pays to save and then buy the best and buy once but when starting out with a huge mortgage cheap poor quality kit has to be bought just to get a job done.

You too have a good Christmas and play safe.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
when starting out with a huge mortgage cheap poor quality kit has to be bought just to get a job done.
S/H on fleabay can be a good idea - pro quality tools can quite often be found cheaper than new DIY ones.

Cheap tools are OK if all you're going to sacrifice is reliability/longevity, but not if it's accuracy or safety. I read worrying stuff once about a Parkside tool, not that I can remember what it was.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
S/H on fleabay can be a good idea - pro quality tools can quite often be found cheaper than new DIY ones.

Cheap tools are OK if all you're going to sacrifice is reliability/longevity, but not if it's accuracy or safety. I read worrying stuff once about a Parkside tool, not that I can remember what it was.
I agree, but with tools (and lots of other goods) buying stuff is an absolute minefield these days. I recently bought digital protractor badged "Trend" ; total garbage. It would eat the battery in a matter of minutes. So bought a unbadged mechanical one, that too was rubbish; did a quick check at 90° and too my amazement was greater than 2° out. That was after me modifying the friction lock s well!!

I have bought some "parkside" and "ferrex" stuff and they do work but they don't feel right. Don't know about safety though.

Dug out my really ancient school geometry set and made a crude jig. That worked.....

Ask a Question