Attaching sensors to hot water tank

Reaction score
Hi,
I need to attach 5 small (think size of an LED) sensors to my domestic hot water tank, from top to bottom. The tank is covered in a hard insulating material. I don't know what it's made from, it came with the tank.

Does anyone know if this material actually adheres to the tank?

I think I can use a small piece of copper pipe to cut holes in the insulation, but I need a relatively clean area of copper for the thermal glue to attach the sensor.

Hopefully somebody out there has cut through this stuff before...

Cheers,
Con

Reaction score
Is it foam insulation ? usually yellow,green or blue if it is it is very easy to cut, you could possibly use a metal drill bit turned between your fingers carefully :) for your size of hole I use a pen knife to cut larger rectangular holes for standard cylinder stats.

Reaction score
Pete, thanks for replying. It's Yellow (ish) and is indeed foam. Encouraged by your words, I used the nozzle from my vacuum cleaner, and managed to easily extract a core of insulation, leaving a clean area of copper tank underneath. I plan to drill this core witha small drill bit, insert the temp sensor, add a splodge of heat-conducting glue, and re-insert the core.

Thanks for replying.

Cheers,
Con

Ask a Question