Attaching Ground Wires

Reaction score
Hello,

I apologize for asking such a basic question but I am very much a newbie to wiring GFCI outlets. I have been looking at some basic wiring diagrams and I am not sure where you attach the "Ground Wire" (or if there is one) on the "LOAD" side. Most of the videos I have seen clearly show where to attach the "Ground Wire" on the "LINE" side. I am assuming (and maybe this is my mistake) that there is also a "Ground wire" on the "LOAD" side. None of the videos I have looked seem to show a "Ground Wire" on the LOAD side although I have seen what appears to be "Ground Wires" for the "LOAD" side in line diagrams BUT it's not clear where they attach. There doesn't seem to be "2" slots on the GFCI 'Ground Screw" (for back scewing 2 wires) like there is for the black (power) and neutral wires. I would be very grateful if someone could clarify this for me.

Many thanks, Bill

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay, if by "Ground" wire you mean the bare "Equipment Grounding Conductor" that goes to the frame of the GFCI receptacle, usually at the bottom of the receptacle. I normally join both Equipment grounding conductors together and then attach one wire to the grounding (green) screw.

"Line" this is the connection points for the incoming power source. The Black wire will connect to the brass colored screw. The White wire connects to the silver screw.

"Load" these connections are used ONLY if you are going to feed other devices or receptacles from the GFCI receptacle. Again, White goes to the silver screw and Black goes to the Brass screw

Ask a Question