Advise wanted pls: hanging chair from ceiling joist

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am having some building work done to create an extension. I’ve always wanted an indoor hanging egg chair and now seems like a good time to get a hook installed to hold one as we have a new roof and the wooden joists are currently exposed (soon to be insulated and then boarded).

My builders have said that they are happy to fix whatever is needed to the ceiling to hold a chair, but they don’t know what should be used. Google has thrown up confusing results so I was hoping maybe someone here can help please?

It would need to hold an adult’s weight, and allow for some swinging movement.

Any suggestions or advice would be brilliant.

Thank you

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I would give them (the contractors) a 1/2" (13mm) thru bolt, nut, and a washer. Ask them to drill it through a roofing member with some "meat" to it. The bolt should be at least 6" (152mm) long so it be installed vertically through a truss framing member.

1659732340452.png

Reaction score
What you don't want is cracks appearing in the plaster skim on the ceiling a few months down the line.
There's likely to be some flexing of the joist and thus the plaster board with an unplanned weight on it. I'd want something like a length of 3"X 2" across several joists in the loft to spread the weight, but you're still likely to get a bit of flexing.

Reaction score
The only things I've ever hung from a ceiling are these two hanging baskets I converted from two ceramic bowls by drilling three holes in them for the support chains. Even then I put 3" X 2" noggins between two joists in the roof space to take the weight.

P1040459.JPG

Reaction score
Country
Canada
@ Doghouse Riley - That looks quite nice....unique idea for a "dead space" between stairwell risers. Evidentially, you like flowers as you've also some on the stairwell, and in the room behind the stairs! Nice.

Ask a Question