I am in the process of renovation an old Victorian property and need advise on heating systems

Reaction score
The property was built circa 1890 and has a cellar, ground, first, second floor and loft.
We have been 'advised' to install several diffferent systems by several different plumbers and as such are stil deciding on what is the most efficent.
The property is large and will house 2 bedrooms and 2 en-suites on the second floor, 3 bedrooms and a family bathroom on the first and a knock through kitchen,diner,living on the ground with a further sitting room and study as well as a wc.
One family bathroom (first floor) - 2 en-suites (second floor) - One WC - ground floor - kitchen/diner- Ground floor - total of 25 radiators.
The original 'advice' and subsequent proposal was to install a system vented/unvented (differ of opinion again and as I am no plumber this is where I need advice) that would include a 500ltr thermal store housed in the cellar connected to a back boiler to allow the heat from the stove (wood buner) to be transferred into the thermal store, in the summer the 'conventional' boiler would kick in to warm water, the boiler would also be houosed in the cellar.
We would have also originally liked to have installed pipework to the loft to (at a later date) install evacuated tubes when budget allows but again I have been 'advised' of heat loss, them not being 'that good' , also I have been told that the pipewrok from the thermal store and the tubes needs joints superinsulated and also they cannot come into contact with wood/joists or if so they need to protected , all in all a minefield !

Last edited:

Ask a Question