3 way switches

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hey guys have a question

I am remodeling my basement and adding a switch at the bottom of the stairs on that switch will run a landing light and a light at the bottom of the stairs this is the diagram I think I should be following...but now here's my some what of a problem I have a second switch at the top of the stairs that I need to power (runs my outside light).. and 14/3 is allready to that gang of switches up stairs.

Question 1 do I pig tail the black wire before it goes to the switch to give the other switch power...

Question 2 do I pig tail the red wire to the landing light and to the new light i am installing at the bottom of the stairs..

Those will be the only 2 lights on the double 3 way switches..

Thanks guys

Screenshot_20210202-212135_Samsung Internet.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm afraid I can't work out from your description what switches you have/want to have where but I expect we can get there. A plan showing the position of switches etc would be useful. If you've not already sorted it.

Can help with one Q, about the red wire. If we re-draw the diagram to be more of a logical one with no physical details (e.g. the wire-nuts where you have to cut and join cables, actual photos of switches etc) then the diagram you posted becomes this:

1614216904179.png

Hopefully you can see that the red wire just runs between the two switches - connecting it to any others will do no good.

By the way - if you wire it up like this:

1614217175587.png

It will be one fewer wire-nuts you'll have to get into the box.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hey he who knows i got it sorted out I just left it the way it was and got a wifi switch with remote and added my new 3 lights to the end of it..also realized why there is a 14/3 goin up to the switch in the first place was because the light in the landing had a plug built in the side of it.. hope I am to code as I used the black from the wire as my hot and the red as my load wire but every thing is working as it should...

Ask a Question