Can someone help with these switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
PXL_20210823_071827603.jpg
Hello

In my garage I have these 2 main switches right next to each other not sure why they would be installed like that, any ideas?

The garage lights only work when both switches are on.

There are outdoor lights on garage door which I have been struggling to make work could they be related to these switches?

Reaction score
The two switches are Fused Spurs, used to "control" things such as a tumble drier / washing machine / lights where a 5 Amp fuse is advised, in short it is a way of controlling the amperage from the standard house 13 Amp down to a safe amperage for [say] a light, but a W/Machine will need a 15 Amp fuse, just to confuse?? but a TV may only need a 2 Amp fuse??

Can I suggest, that you change the two fuses in the two fused spurs, you can do this by opening the rectangular flaps on the spurs, the fuses are then accessible, suggest you change on a like for like basis.

Based on the right hand spur having a conduit rising vertically, there is a good chance??? that that spur controls the external lights??

Would like to know how you get on?? after a fuse change??

Ken.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Ken,

I changed both fuse and was so hopeful that it would work! But alas, it didn't change any behaviour at all :(

Any other suggestions?

Reaction score
OK understood.

First I am not a Spark !!

On the underside of the two fused spurs, are there holes in the metal casings? if so are they open, that is not covered with a neoprene plug?

One other thing to possibly look at is??

Cut the power to the garage, make absolutely sure that the power is OFF!!

Unscrew the face plates on the two fused spurs and see if there is any wiring in them?

Ken.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Open the boxes up, leave them hanging by the wiring (DO NOT REMOVE any wires), take a pic, I'll figure it out for you. Ensure your pictures are clear, and from alternate angles so as to avoid glare in the picture. If the pictures a thorough and well taken, it will help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
in short it is a way of controlling the amperage from the standard house 13 Amp down to a safe amperage for [say] a light
No, it's to protect the cable downstream ofthe fuse from being damaged by fault current.

, but a W/Machine will need a 15 Amp fuse,
No such thing (as a BS 1361 to go into a plug or FCU).

a TV may only need a 2 Amp fuse??
A TV may well not draw enough current to trouble a 2A fuse, but the fuse is there to protect the cable, and is sized according to cable size. That same TV in Europe will be on a 16A circuit with no fuse in the plug.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I changed both fuse and was so hopeful that it would work! But alas, it didn't change any behaviour at all :(
It wouldn't.

The fact that both switches need to be on for the garage lights to work shows 2 things:

1) They were wired by an idiot.

2) Both fuses were perfectly OK.

Your exterior light problem is something else. Have you traced the cable(s) which supply them?

1633954478734.gif

Open the boxes up, leave them hanging by the wiring (DO NOT REMOVE any wires), take a pic, I'll figure it out for you. Ensure your pictures are clear, and from alternate angles so as to avoid glare in the picture. If the pictures a thorough and well taken, it will help.
1633954784449.png

Attachments

Ask a Question