3 way switches fail under load - what gives?

Reaction score
Hi folks -

I'm having issues with a 3-way light switch setup...at one point this worked...and then suddenly one day it didn't (vacation house, we're not up there often, so memory is a little fuzzy). I figured it might be the fixture, which I planned on replacing anyway, so took that down and verified that the power is indeed going to the ceiling box as expected with a multi tester, and the switches are functioning as they should. When I put up the new fixture up and flipped the switch, I heard something like a "pop" from one of the switches and no light. So now I figured a switch might be bad...replaced both switches and again, tested from the outlet box with a multi-tester (so no real load) and things looked good. Put new fixture up and same dang thing! Heard a pop from one of the switches, no light. Since it tests ok with the multi-tester but not a 60 watt bulb, what are your thoughts on next troubleshooting steps? Losing my mind over this ridiculousness!

Thanks for any advice/help...
Mike

Ask a Question