Workshop music.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

For years I've enjoyed playing my favourite songs in the workshop; when I had my radio restoration workshop I downloaded lots of songs onto CD's and played the CD's through a Walkman connected to a vintage radio. I then closed the workshop and transferred to the garage which is now my workshop; I bought a Sony mini hi-fi it being stereo and over the last few years could play the CD's directly; the problem was that a CD only held about 20 songs so I wanted something holding more songs.

I then found I could copy the songs to an ipod so bought one (cheap) and it works perfectly having about 200 songs loaded but I'm still not happy; I need to keep charging the ipod which is so frustrating; I'm running the ipod through the Sony.

I can also run the ipod connected to my computer playing whilst it charges so I thought perhaps I could modify a USB cable which I did; I located the signal wires and snipped both leaving just the charging wires; when I plugged into a new 13A double socket with double USB all I could get was massive interference.

I've spent ages browsing the web for a mains radio or similar that I could insert a memory stick or connect the ipod but with no luck at all; car radios appear to have a usb socket but not mains radios.

Has anyone suggestions please; all I want to do is play my favourite songs in the workshop without spending a fortune.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Colin.

Have you considered a [so called] "Smart Speaker"?

If you have available Wi-Fi coverage in the Garage then these types of things work and you have access to a vast quantity of music and Music types, as well as the opportunity of compiling favorites list

Ken.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks for your informative reply Ken it's much appreciated. :)

I'd never heard of Smart Speakers so I'll definitely look into them; I had a quick browse and the cheaper ones would possibly be all I would need the more expensive ones would bring tears to my pocket. Your mention of compiling favourites sound ideal for my needs; I seldom bother with normal TV it being mostly rubbish and I never use a radio even in the car; TV viewing is 99% YouTube.

I restored vintage radios for ten years and was considering adding a diverter switch to the computer speakers to mute these and connect to the speakers in the workshop; ideally I'd like a self contained unit in the workshop so now I'm aware of Smart Speakers it sounds like a good option.

We do have wi-fi so I'm in with a chance. Thanks again.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Colin.

We are now users of two such devices, we obtained them as a pair Pre-pandemic

Ours are Amazon dot, I think the most basic "Alexa" type, we also have an Amazon account so we have opted to use that type of smart speakers, we have what is probably considered a fairly basic type and they certainly did not break the bank.

Sound quality is actually quite good and the voice activated commands are really impressive.

Think of these devices as a "sort of" voice activated computer you can ask questions on any subject, and the availability of even very obscure music is prodigious, deadly accurate alarm clocks, and you can have different alarms set for different times running at the same time, I think there is an Internet radio acquisition which could access more unusual music and spoken word stations, never mind access to a load of recipes Etc. Etc

Ken.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks Ken for taking the time to reply; very appreciated indeed.

Things have moved on a bit since I last posted; I spent quite a while looking at the "Smart Speakers" and what a lot of technology in such a small piece of kit; very impressive indeed but I was after something very basic just to play the songs I already have copied; nothing fancy and not bothered about lots of extras I'd never use so a bit of thinking.

Our Skoda Yeti is fitted with a USB port that excepts an ipod so I tried my ipod and sure enough it works but I still needed to play these songs in the workshop so as an experiment I copied the songs to a 4GB memory stick about 200 songs in total; the ipod and memory stick played OK on the computer but when I tried to insert the memory stick into the car it refused to go into the socket which was strange after all both connectors of the ipod and memory stick were the same size so I went back to the car and pushed very hard on the memory stick forcing it into the car socket; wow it works.

All I now needed was a car radio so I bought this;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283924193821

I already have the hifi stereo speakers and I also have a 2A 240VAC/12VDC converter psu; the radio is due to arrive tomorrow so I'm keen to play around with it; all being well once set up I'll have achieved what I wanted allowing me to play my songs in peace and not be bothered with charging the ipod battery the memory stick just being plug and play; I hope so and I'll find out shortly. This 4GB memory stick (Sandisk Cruzer Blade USB Flash Drive) will hold around 1,000 MP3 songs which I think is way more than I'll ever need and these sticks are very cheap ondeed at under £5 via eBay; I bought a 32GB Cruzer Blade at Asda yesterday for only £10 for data backing up.

I'll post the result. If all is well then I'll make a proper enclosure for the new radio; I can leave the power supply plugged in and switched on but can switch the radio off when not needed I don't know if the radio has memory as to last song played or even random play so it's a learning curve; I've wanted to sort this problem out for years.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

At last after many years problem solved. The new car radio arrived at dinnertime today and it's working much to my delight. Once I sussed out the connections it was easy to connect to the 12VDC adapter; Yellow is positve and black negative; I connected with just one speaker to test it works and it didn't at first no power into it; it's made for a car not a workshop and the red wire was to go to the ignition switch; I connected the red wire with the yellow into positve and it fired up without problem.

I need a coin battery for the remote control; I'll make a new enclosure to protect it from debris and I'll connect the second speaker giving stereo; it will run four speakers if I wanted.

The clock is set using the remote so this still needs doing and I'm very pleased it has random play so now no problem with around 200 songs and no playing around with the ipod and endless battery charging; it can be switched off but the adapter left switched on looking after the clock.

New radio._0001.JPG

This ipod has been excellent apart from constant battery charging; it's now redundant.
New radio._0002.JPG

Here's the set up with my mini Sony hifi stereo; the hifi is also now redundant being replaced by the much smaller car radio.
New radio._0007.JPG

Connection label attached to the radio; just the ignition switch needed to be sorted the other connections very easy indeed.
New radio._0008.JPG

Here it's under power fully working so tomorrow I'll permanently set it up. It's playing from the memory stick this tiny stick will hold up to 1,000 MP3 songs. Now I've done this so cheaply I'm happy to pass the details on.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've made a bit of progress today and the radio has a new wooden enclosure;

New radio_0001.JPG

Quick way to cut mitre joints.
New radio_0002.JPG

I had an offcut of solid English oak just big enough for this project.
New radio_0003.JPG

I used Black Bison dark wax as a finish for speed; not the usual choice of finish for me but it's not meant to be a showpiece; fine for the workshop. I'll connect up tomorrow then I can resume work on the induction heater project.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
I read lots of good ideas but not sure about this thought. If you got wifi available, maybe even add an extender to the house….What i got is Alexa and I set up play lists on Amazon Prime. If you look on line there is an almost infinite selection of adapters/plugs/ cables. I got Alexa plugged into my stereo ( do it in the house and run some speaker wire is another way to go) So Amazon music got play lists, Alexa lets you pick the one you want that day, the stereo plays the music. I never bought Amazon music so I don’t get every song by every artist, but it gives you more than enough. Making a play list is easy with Alexa and to add songs, …Alexa play. XYZ…..Alexa add this song to PLAYLIST. 123….. I am not a tech wizard but I worked my way through it and got what I needed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks MarineBob for your interesting and infomative reply. I'm a real dinosaur not up to speed with every electronic gizmo; I'm pleased you got what you were after and that it works for you.

I don't trust wifi and I've got exactly the system I want and very cheaply too as it turned out; with around 200 of my favourite songs on stick and random play I'm delighted; if I want more songs I'll add them to the stick; it couldn't be better for me.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just an update. I didn't like the look of the dark surround I made so removed it and left it natural oak with a wax polish which I like better; it's now fully installed so I'm happy but I've since bought another of these radio's for my latest hobby which is to learn to play a violin and also make a violin from scratch; I've spent the last week and a half working flat out to create a new studio for my wife and I to enjoy our respective hobbies in so I'll post a thread covering this.

New radio_0003_01.JPG

Not the neatest or prettiest woodworking job I've done but plenty good enough for the workshop; I didn't want to spend lots of time on this.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reactions: Ian
Reaction score
This was my first "jukebox"

It's a radio and cassette player. It's on the wall above my bench in the garage. I've had it for about 35 years. It was an unclaimed promotional prize from when I was working. It's not something I would have bought. It's still working perfectly and I've plenty of vintage cassettes from when I had a Walkman.

P1050523.JPG

If I'm working in my "office".... alright our small box bedroom, I've this vintage Rotel tuner amp and bookshelf speakers. It'll also play the mp3s in my laptop.

P1040808.JPG

I use the vintage jukebox wall box just as a telephone directory as most have always been used by some.

These in the front room are fully operational and I use for selecting mp3s to play through my vintage Leak 2000 tuner amp.

If I'm working in the shed I can bang a couple of dozen or more selections on these in our summerhouse about 20 feet away.

P1030982.JPG

Or put a stick in the side of the TV and use the remote to select whatever I want.

P1030983.JPG

So I've just about got music covered, not that I use them that much. But I like to know they are "there" if I want them.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Doghouse; you've got some lovely kit to play with; you're spoiled for choice. :)

How come you've got a weather forecast on the TV; each time we switch on our TV it's someone kicking or knocking a ball around or talking about kicking or knocking a ball around.

I've just created a new crafting and violin studio and have duplicated the car radio set up I have in the workshop so both the workshop and studio are up and running.

Kind regards, Colin.

Ask a Question