Water under workshop door.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

For the last 32 years living here I've been fed up with water entering the workshop (garage) being blown under the door; a few days ago I finally got to this problem and have now hopefully sorted it once and for all.

Whilst at "The Metal Store" I added a length of 2" x 1/4" x 96" aluminium to the order asking for this to be cut in half allowing it to be brought home in our car. The fun really started when I tried attaching this to the concrete floor; my intention was to drill and countersink mounting holes in the aluminium then screw it to the concrete with special masonry screws. All went well at first; I drilled and countersunk the aluminium then with the doors closed aligned the first length and marked its position; with a small dia. masonry drill bit I drilled through leaving marks on the floor; the screws needed 6mm holes so out with my big Titan SDS drill and in percussion mode tried drilling the holes in the concrete; the drill refused to go into percussion mode merely revolving only so in disgust the big drill was laid aside and out now with my old but trusty Bosch hammer drill and at last I had the first line of holes drilled.

I started to use my 18V cordless Makita drill/driver to run the screws home but the drill battery died on me. Picking up the SDS drill I ran the first screw until it locked solid half way home; the second screw promptly snapped in half; out with the first screw and re-drill at 7mm; at last the screws went home; before positioning the aluminium I ran three heavy beads of clear silicone sealant to allow a water tight joint. The second length of aluminium was secured using old fashioned plastic wall plugs and countersunk stainless wood screws; I'd had enough of the special concrete screws messing me around.

As usual the rain is still coming down today but now the inside of the workshop remains dry; another job ticked off but not before time.

Kind regards, Colin.

Workshop_0001_01.JPG

Aluminium screwed and seal to the concrete; any future problems I'll replace the aluminium with stainless steel. It's not wet inside it's just the sealant that's showing. I'm constantly fighting our dire weather.

Reaction score
Colin, I can’t understand how you keep such a positive attitude while living in such a climate. If I go more than 2 days without seeing sunshine I turn into an ogre.

As usual your workmanship is first rate and I hope this keeps you high and dry.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks Doug for your kind compliment.

Bad weather is just a way of life living here so we have to endure it; however it is a real pain most of the time even whilst working indoors; midsummer about four years ago whilst I was giving our front room a comprehensive makeover I had to use a floodlight in the afternoon just to see what I was doing; when I made and assembled my garden hut again mid summer as I drove the screws home water was oozing out of the timber; I think it highly insulting of the sun to just appear at 7:09pm for a brief moment after yet another day of rain; it seldom lets up and torments me daily.

I built two garden huts and often I'll go to the upper hut and change from my work safety shoes into wellies which I then wear whilst in the garden; if I need to come indoors then I change back to shoes otherwise I leave a dirty trail. Here's our usual weather for tonight;

1565979261158.png

In spite of our dire weather I'm a true Yorkshireman born and bred here from past generations and although I've never been abroad there's no other place on the planet I'd rather call home; I'm as stubborn as the weather. During our very short summers its absolutely gorgeous here and all the rain ensures our gardens thrive.

Last August I designed; made and installed a porch to our front door; this has made a tremendous difference; before I added the porch I could even feel an icy blast through the keyhole because of the prevailing wind coming up the valley. The bad weather slows me down but I always succeed in whatever I attempt to do however long it takes.

Kind regards, Colin.

Creating meadow 10.JPG

When I can create a small wild flower meadow at the top of our garden like this everything I do suddenly seems alright.

Ask a Question