Water running under conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for some advise please, had decking removed at rear of house to reveal hole at bottom of conservatory wall. Water is running under the conservatory when it rains.

The conservatory does have a manhole/grid underneath it which has access/capped. Should I be worried about water running down there under the conservatory, should I block the hole off, will the water readily find its way to the drains anyway or could it cause damage?

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

You are asking questions that can’t be answered correctly without an on site inspection. With the amount of mold present you really owe it to yourself to have a professional evaluation made on your house. If you have this much mold visible there is no telling what you have unseen. Mold is a health hazard and I wouldn’t recommend it as a DIY project.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Well said Doug. :)

I'm glad it's not mine being in such poor condition. I note you live here in the UK and if anywhere near or in Yorkshire you're property will be subjected to lots of rainfall aggravating the problem. Don't despair though; warmer weather is here and hopefully things will dry out a bit allowing you to get on top of this water ingress. It certainly needs treating with urgency and the first course of action is common sense; you are aware water is gaining access so this definitely needs to be sorted out; water in or under a property like this is very bad news not only causing health issues but also damage to your building and if left unchecked it will quickly become a whole lot worse.

I'd lift the paving flags and excavate the area by the wall digging down to expose the foundations assuming there are foundations; inspect any lower bricks to see if they are porous; inspect pointing especially wall to foundation mortar joint; make good any holes however small; water must not be allowed to gain access.

Looking at the pictures though there appears to be a paving flag in the bottom course in the wall and it's hollow beneath this? As Doug rightly says if you cannot do this work yourself or make an evaluation of the problem it's long overdue to get a professional in; I don't like the look of it at all and the ground is sodden against the wall. Does the conservatory actually have any proper foundations?

It's very difficult to suggest a plan of action without seeing the problem first hand; paying a professional to inspect it would be a good start and work from the report at least then you'll know the worst and how to go about repairs. If you can do the work yourself then you'll save quite a bit of money but I stress the work needs doing to an high standard or it will be a total waste of time and money.

Have you inspected under the floor to see if it is a localized problem or is water seeping in elsewhere too. If it's localized then it should be much easier to rectify. I've had my share of water ingress but I'm an experienced DIY'er; I tend to go way over the top in order to do a job and do the job once only; the pictures below show the work I carried out buying best materials and taking my time.

Kind regards, Colin.

Water ingress_001_01.JPG

Leaking mortar joint kitchen wall to foundation.

Water ingress_002.JPG

Mortar joint made good then to be doubly sure a course of engineering bricks were fully mortar bedded at the joint.

Water ingress_003.JPG

Not satisfied with just doing this repair I installed flood defences too in the form of a channel to divert any water to the side of the bungalow allowing it to discharge harmlessly.

Water ingress_001.JPG

I don't do easy I always do it the hard way and do it once. I saved a lot of money doing the job myself and I bought top quality materials.

Water ingress_008.JPG

No one would guess the amount of work carried out under the patio; I even modified the drains sealing them as seen so leaves and debris can no longer cause a problem.

Water ingress_004.JPG

Our garage beneath the bungalow; another failed mortar joint.

Water ingress_005.JPG

The wall is a supporting wall so great care had to be taken only removing a short section at a time.

Water ingress_006.JPG

Each section was allowed to dry overnight before moving to the next section.

Water ingress_007.JPG

Please note new DPC; engineering bricks are a must and I used mortar waterproofing. These jobs are labour intensive hence they are usually expensive to get someone in; it's very easy though for a novice to make matters an whole lot worse; if in any doubt at all don't attempt such repairs. Our bungalow was full of leaks; when we moved in 32 years ago Bron and I physically replaced the entire roof; we've not had training in this kind of work but we thoroughly researched it before making a start. Desperation was our driving force and although now we can easily afford to get someone in we never do.

Ask a Question