Water keeps running when tap off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I woke up today with loud noises coming from my pipes under the kitchen sink (like a squealing sound). The water also keep running from the tap even when the taps are switched off.

I noticed the cold water tap handle is very loose, and when I press down on it, the noise stops. I'm trying to access the screw to see if I can tighten it, but I cannot remove the cap on the tap handle (see attached image).

Would really appreciate any advice as I'm having to switch off water supply to prevent the incredibly annoying noises and the back on again when I need water.

Thanks

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Removing the cap(s) from the handles is what you must do so that you can get at the valve mechanism(s).

Don't know why it's loose - could be that the washer has fallen apart- have you found yourself having to turn it off tighter & tighter to stop drips over the last few months?

Are they rubber washers or ceramic, do you know? I think that sometimes a split rubber one can a act like a musical instrument reed and vibrate when water goes through it, hence the noise.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the reply. I turned the water supply back on and the issue seems to have resolved itself.

Now to see if it stays that way!

Reaction score
Always a good first step. turn off and back on....LOL, just like the computer. Sometimes that's all you need. For lack of a better answer, maybe some stuff got into the sealing area and with the pressure off, got out of there and allowed the seal to work properly

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Google search "tighten the packing" in a plumbing site. May as well change the washer before you do it.....really cheap.

Reaction score
I recall reading about maintenance issues in general. A huge percentage of problems are simply loose fasteners of all types.

Ask a Question