under the house water trouble

Reaction score
I am on the home stretch of rehabbing and adding on to a house in South Carolina. It is on a fairly steep grade so the front of the house is ground level and the back is about 9 ft, spanning about 35 ft from front to back. It used to be 24 ft before adding 11 ft to the back. The house was open on the back foundation when I started and had cinder block columns every 8 ft or so. Before adding on I put a solid wall across the back with 3 openings across the 44 ft span. Now, the old wall is inside and the addition wall on the back seals the under house area completely other than the one door. I am getting water comming up from under the dirt under the house.it is beginning to create a very bad mold problem. We have been able to control it until recently, but until I figure out how to keep the water out from under the house, our efforts are futile. The gutters and foundation drains are all installed, but I think that the water is actually coming from under ground uphill. In order to put a drain deep enough in the front, I would have to bury a drain 7 ft deep in the front of the house. Was considering a sump drain, but getting through the various foundations under the house is making that seem impossible. Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question