Wiring Solar Panel Array

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, all.

I'm setting up an off-grid solar panel array. The panels are about 170' away from the enclosure housing the inverter/charger and batteries. For minimal voltage loss, I am using 1/0 XHHW cable for this run. I have a 500' spool of wire, but of course that won't be enough. My question: can this cable be spliced underground safely?

Thanks

Reaction score
Country
United States
A bit late to the party here, but
are you doing conduit? by default xhhw is not "direct bury"
XHHW and XHHW-2
XHHWXHHW-2
X = Cross-Linked Polyethylene (XLPE)
HH = High Heat-Resistance
W = Water Resistance
Temp Rating:
90° C in dry locations and 75° C in wet locations
X = Cross-Linked Polyethylene (XLPE)
HH =
High Heat-Resistance
W =
Water Resistance
Temp Rating:
90° C in both dry and wet locations

conduit of course still requires water resistance as it's considered "wet" because it usually gets wet.

There are plenty of "submerged" splice connectors, but in conduit or not makes a big difference

Reaction score
A good solution would be to bring the splice out of the ground. A 4”X4” fence post could be buried at the union and the adjoining wires brought up well above any potential water level. Fasten a waterproof electrical box to the fence post and join the wires in the box. This would preclude any chance of moisture invading the joint.

Reaction score
Country
United States
These wires will be in conduit. I guess I can do as Silentrunning suggests and bring the splice aboveground, but it will complicate the installation somewhat.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I ended up buying more wire instead. I now have four lengths of 1/0 XHHW-2 wire running 175' underground between the array site and the power center. I rented a Southwire Maxis 6K wire puller to do it, but had to buy some very expensive pulling rope as that wasn't included.

Onward to the next dilemma!

Ask a Question