Megaflo wiring - Hot water not connected to programmer box Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by SomeOfTheGear, 30 minutes ago.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just had a new megaflo 210 litre Eco unvented Cylinder fitted to replace a leaking cylinder. When the old one died, it leaked into the cylinder stat control panel and it fused the electricity so I turned it all off at the Consumer unit and disconnected the supply from the big junction box to the cylinder Stat and terminated the end that went into the old cylinder into a Wago box to make it safe. We got someone to fit the new Megaflo Cylinder whilst we had to go away for a Funeral.

On our return yesterday, all seemed good. The heating fired up fine and is controlled by our Tado system. However, the guy that did the fitting of the Megaflo forgot to connect the 'made safe' wiring from the programmer wiring connection junction box to the Megaflo. He's now on holiday and we've no hot water! ***.

I've attached a photo of the existing connections inside the wiring connection box which shows the wiring as was connected to the old cylinder. It's just a brown and blue / earth cable so only 2 connections and earth. The other photo shows the existing connections in the Megaflo connection box. The Immersion heater all seems fine.
[IMG]

The Junction box wasn't wired by me and I'm aware that in the photo there's a couple of things that need tidying.
1) The join from the brown to the red
2) There's a grey wire that has a cut on it.
3) Some neutral conductors have copper showing where they join into the connector block.

[IMG]

QUESTION: Is it possible to just connect the old wire into the Megaflo? If so which terminals on the megaflow should the old wire's brown and blue connect to (Earth is obvious)? If it's not this simple what do I need to do please?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Wiring centres like yours can be real rat's nests to sort out.
My advice is wait until whoever "made safe" the wiring to get back and ask them why they left the job in such a state.
It would be possible to get a temporary wiring done to get the immersion going, but it could be very risky.
I'm only up to speed on Y-Plan, but it might be possible to get a wiring diagram and hope that the wiring centre was wired the same.
When you do get it running, get the installer to mark up every terminal and leave you with a list of what everything does.
For what it's worth, I always photograph complex wiring before touching anything, mark every wire with a system of bands or dots, and for a long term solution, I use the sort of tags you get in key safes to write on and fix them with cable ties to the cable or core.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wiring centres like yours can be real rat's nests to sort out.
My advice is wait until whoever "made safe" the wiring to get back and ask them why they left the job in such a state.
It would be possible to get a temporary wiring done to get the immersion going, but it could be very risky.
I'm only up to speed on Y-Plan, but it might be possible to get a wiring diagram and hope that the wiring centre was wired the same.
When you do get it running, get the installer to mark up every terminal and leave you with a list of what everything does.
For what it's worth, I always photograph complex wiring before touching anything, mark every wire with a system of bands or dots, and for a long term solution, I use the sort of tags you get in key safes to write on and fix them with cable ties to the cable or core.
Thanks for the input, I'm now trying to get someone qualified to sort it out.

Ask a Question