White Lithium Grease vs Lithium Grease

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got some MGN8H linear guides arriving in a few weeks and they will require a clean and greasing. The manufacturer recommended using white lithium grease (but not the sprayable type). I've found a handful of places to buy white lithium grease, but it seems a lot more expensive than normal lithium grease.

Is there any difference between the two in terms of spec and performance? I've had a good look, but can't find anything definitive.

My experience with bearings and grease is minimal!

Reaction score
Ian, there are lithium greases that are cheaper for a reason. They can’t stand up to the heat or pressure that white can. They also don’t have the corrosion resistance that white lithium grease has. When I had boats I never used anything but white for everything that moved. The extra cost is a cheap insurance policy.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Doug, that makes sense. It'll need to operate at high temperatures, so I'll skip the cheaper stuff and go straight for white lithium :). Thanks for the advice, I think that may have saved me re-lubricating things at a later date!

Ask a Question