Whirlpool Goldstar GI5FSAXVY02 Frost in Freezer

Reaction score
Country
United States
Whirlpool GI5FSAXVY02 with control board WPW10310240

I am getting frost in the freezer compartment. The gasket is sound so my next step is to initiate a forced defrost, however I am unable to find the instructions for my model/control board.

Would someone please advise the correct procedure to force the defrost as part of my diagnostics.

Any other advice on the next diagnostic steps would also be appreciated.

Thank you

Reaction score
There's some YouTube videos on this model

The biggest problem with freezers getting frosted up is simply being over-filled.
We used to have a Bosch which my wife occasionally over-filled. There must be a gap above each drawer to let the fan move the air around.
Usually about midnight the alarm would go off. So I'd have to put everything insulated freezer bags, remove the drawers and the inside back panel and defrost the element with a hair dryer. Put everything back and turn it on. Fortunately, we've a back-up freezer in the garage, that would take all the contents.
It'd be back to normal in the morning. I think part of the problem was that the auto de-frost stopped working.

We've solved the problem now, we've got a much bigger Meile fridge/freezer and a second back-up freezer. I styill have to occasionally remind her not to over-fill the drawers.

Ask a Question