Wealtherproofing Outdoor Outlet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United States
This is a picture of my outdoor outlet. It has two places to plug into and the cover has a screw in the middle, I assume holding it in place. I've tried searching the web and can't find a weatherproof cover that would fit. Anyone have any ideas? If I have something plugged in and it rains it trips the GFCI. Thanks.

Attachments

Reaction score
This is a picture of my outdoor outlet. It has two places to plug into and the cover has a screw in the middle, I assume holding it in place. I've tried searching the web and can't find a weatherproof cover that would fit. Anyone have any ideas? If I have something plugged in and it rains it trips the GFCI. Thanks.
Hi and welcome.

Buy a new one.

Can't be any more expensive than these in the UK.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IHNI. MK do offer NEMA outlets, but I don't know if they do in the Masterseal range.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yup.

There's not much that could go wrong with flaky outdoor sockets, nor cause any significant related problems, particularly with Chinese ones with fake safety/standards certifications....

Reaction score
Yup.

There's not much that could go wrong with flaky outdoor sockets, nor cause any significant related problems, particularly with Chinese ones with fake safety/standards certifications....
You're sounding like the Daily Mail!

it's about the application of common sense.

Being realistic...
I think here in the UK if someone goes to a recognised electrical wholesaler, they should be able to get a reliable one that "won't flake," for a fraction of the price of those you've quoted.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You're sounding like someone in denial of the reality of the dangers posed by buying Chinese made products directly on eBay/Amazon.

And quite honestly, is it really worth risking safety just to save £30-odd?

Reaction score
You're sounding like someone in denial of the reality of the dangers posed by buying Chinese made products directly on eBay/Amazon.

You're "sounding" like someone for whom the only alternatives are "feast or famine."
Some you quoted were in the hundreds

You can get a perfectly safe one for around £10 to £15, single socket even cheaper.

From my local wholesaler.

Let it go.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Err....

MK Masterseal do not cost "hundreds".

Screwfix sell a 2-gang unswitched for £34. Toolstation sell a 2-gang switched for £39.

Let it go.

Reaction score
Err....

MK Masterseal do not cost "hundreds".

Screwfix sell a 2-gang unswitched for £34. Toolstation sell a 2-gang switched for £39.

Let it go.

You're in denial.

Read what you posted, no better than that..... I'll post it for you, here it is.

That's a classic example of "feast or famine" offered as the only alternatives..

Then look at the fist example on the link you posted it was £290.

I've since posted a link to an example of a perfectly serviceable outlet from a reputable electrical wholesaler for less than £15.

Now put the spade down and move on.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1609160427835.png

1609160511384.png

And your first eBay item was a £2.99 no-brand product from an eBay business which has been going for 3 months.

If I go to the eBay link which you posted, and sort by price descending, like to guess what the first item is?

I'll save you the trouble:

1609161378264.png

Reaction score
I think you've done this to death.

Why not let those who are interested, if they aren't sick of all this by now, make their own mind up rather than let your scaremongering force them into accepting your choice? Nothing wrong with MK but there are other options.

I linked a perfectly safe option at half the price of the one you quoted.

Now move on.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is getting ridiculous.

You really did originally post an eBay search which really did have a cheap unbranded product sold by a startup business at the top of the list.

I really did post an eBay search for a specific make which is known to be safe and of good quality. Are there other such makes? I'm sure there are - I just picked what is probably the best known, that's all.

And I did point out that yes, there really is a problem with shoddy goods coming out of China bearing fake safety and standards compliance certifications.

All of this seemed to annoy you, for some reason.

My MK recommendation was an alternative to your search which risked finding unsafe products. Is the first product your search found one such? I don't know, but the price is suspiciously low, it is as I said unbranded, and the fact that the seller uses a CE logo in the advert shows that he neither knows nor cares that that is a certification which cannot apply to BS 1363 sockets.

Did I ever say that people should buy MK and not " a perfectly serviceable outlet from a reputable electrical wholesaler"?

No I did not.

You seemed to think that I should be criticised because my search turned up an item where someone was selling something for a daft price, and yet yours also produced the exact same item.

Was I suggesting that someone should buy an MK socket for £290 because my search found it? If you think I was then you must be consistent and agree that you were suggesting that someone should buy that dubious one because your search did. And if you don't want to agree that you were then you must be consistent and admit that I wasn't recommending a £290 MK.

All your exhortations for me to let it go, put the spade down, move on are being made because you're the one who, having got the wrong end of the stick, won't stop criticising me for things I've not written.

Reaction score
This is getting ridiculous.

You really did originally post an eBay search which really did have a cheap unbranded product sold by a startup business at the top of the list.

I really did post an eBay search for a specific make which is known to be safe and of good quality. Are there other such makes? I'm sure there are - I just picked what is probably the best known, that's all.

And I did point out that yes, there really is a problem with shoddy goods coming out of China bearing fake safety and standards compliance certifications.

All of this seemed to annoy you, for some reason.

My MK recommendation was an alternative to your search which risked finding unsafe products. Is the first product your search found one such? I don't know, but the price is suspiciously low, it is as I said unbranded, and the fact that the seller uses a CE logo in the advert shows that he neither knows nor cares that that is a certification which cannot apply to BS 1363 sockets.

Did I ever say that people should buy MK and not " a perfectly serviceable outlet from a reputable electrical wholesaler"?

No I did not.

You seemed to think that I should be criticised because my search turned up an item where someone was selling something for a daft price, and yet yours also produced the exact same item.

Was I suggesting that someone should buy an MK socket for £290 because my search found it? If you think I was then you must be consistent and agree that you were suggesting that someone should buy that dubious one because your search did. And if you don't want to agree that you were then you must be consistent and admit that I wasn't recommending a £290 MK.

All your exhortations for me to let it go, put the spade down, move on are being made because you're the one who, having got the wrong end of the stick, won't stop criticising me for things I've not written.

Err.... "Pot kettle black" Ring a bell?

My link was to an on-line seller in this case eBay that sold exterior sockets available at a fraction of the price of those of the MK list you posted, (the cheapest on the first page of your list was £35). there's pages and pages of them on eBay at all sorts of prices and I made no particular recommendation for any.

I didn't suggest someone should buy a dubious one, you just made that up.

I did later post a specific link to an acceptable specific product at half the price of the one you recommended.

The one I'm actually using is a single socket I bought a couple of years ago from the same wholesaler for about £10 and it works just fine.
As I said, it ain't feast or famine.

Figure that one out and then move on.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Err.... "Pot kettle black" Ring a bell?
Not to me. Surely to you though.

My link was to an on-line seller in this case eBay that sold exterior sockets available at a fraction of the price of those of the MK list you posted, (the cheapest on the first page of your list was £35). there's pages and pages of them on eBay at all sorts of prices and I made no particular recommendation for any.

Your link was to a variety of sellers and products which ran the risk of being untrustworthy sellers and/or unsafe products.

You posted it to show that the OP should buy a new socket because it "Can't be any more expensive than these in the UK". Your exact words.

Seeing that your link was to a variety of sellers and products which ran the risk of being untrustworthy sellers and/or unsafe products, I just picked one particular reputable make and posted the link for a search for them.

At which point you began to abandon any semblance of reasonable behaviour.

I didn't suggest someone should buy a dubious one, you just made that up.

No, what I wrote was this:

It would help if you would read properly.

If you want to claim that the appearance of a dubious item in the search you provided was not a suggestion that someone should buy it, why did you keep going on about the prices that some sellers were asking for items in the search I provided?

It surely cannot be because you thought I was suggesting someone should buy one of those items, can it.

I did later post a specific link to an acceptable specific product at half the price of the one you recommended.
Indeed you did.

Remind me where I criticised that recommendation or product, please, as I can't see it.

As I said, it ain't feast or famine.
Let's look at this "feast or famine" comment, shall we?

You (at a point where the only products you had "suggested" included cheap and dubious ones):
"Seems a lot of money to pay for something for what for many, would be for occasional use in the garden, when you can get an adequate one for less than a tenner."

I:
"Yup.

"

You:
" You're sounding like the Daily Mail! "

I:
" You're sounding like someone in denial of the reality of the dangers posed by buying Chinese made products directly on eBay/Amazon. "

You:
"You're "sounding" like someone for whom the only alternatives are "feast or famine."
"

Again - if you think I deserve criticism because some people on eBay are offering good products at silly prices, how dare you claim that you do not deserve criticism because some are offering dodgy products at cheap prices?

Figure that one out and then move on.
I've already figured out all that there is.

And I'll move on shortly after you realise that you've manufactured an argument purely because you didn't like the fact that I suggested one make as an alternative to dubious unbranded tat which was not the same as the make you'd bought, and that you then sustained the argument by repeatedly failing to read properly.

Or shortly after you've dug yourself even deeper into the hole you've confected.

Reaction score
Not to me. Surely to you though.

Your link was to a variety of sellers and products which ran the risk of being untrustworthy sellers and/or unsafe products.

You posted it to show that the OP should buy a new socket because it "Can't be any more expensive than these in the UK". Your exact words.

Seeing that your link was to a variety of sellers and products which ran the risk of being untrustworthy sellers and/or unsafe products, I just picked one particular reputable make and posted the link for a search for them.

At which point you began to abandon any semblance of reasonable behaviour.

No, what I wrote was this:

It would help if you would read properly.

If you want to claim that the appearance of a dubious item in the search you provided was not a suggestion that someone should buy it, why did you keep going on about the prices that some sellers were asking for items in the search I provided?

It surely cannot be because you thought I was suggesting someone should buy one of those items, can it.

Indeed you did.

Remind me where I criticised that recommendation or product, please, as I can't see it.

Let's look at this "feast or famine" comment, shall we?

You (at a point where the only products you had "suggested" included cheap and dubious ones):
"Seems a lot of money to pay for something for what for many, would be for occasional use in the garden, when you can get an adequate one for less than a tenner."

I:
"Yup.

"

You:
" You're sounding like the Daily Mail! "

I:
" You're sounding like someone in denial of the reality of the dangers posed by buying Chinese made products directly on eBay/Amazon. "

You:
"You're "sounding" like someone for whom the only alternatives are "feast or famine."
"

Again - if you think I deserve criticism because some people on eBay are offering good products at silly prices, how dare you claim that you do not deserve criticism because some are offering dodgy products at cheap prices?

I've already figured out all that there is.

And I'll move on shortly after you realise that you've manufactured an argument purely because you didn't like the fact that I suggested one make as an alternative to dubious unbranded tat which was not the same as the make you'd bought, and that you then sustained the argument by repeatedly failing to read properly.

Or shortly after you've dug yourself even deeper into the hole you've confected.
Look, you've had your say. Plenty of it.

I prefer to let people make up their own minds.

Your out of hand dismisal of products on both eBay and Amazon as dangerous, just to justify your inclusion of a lot of high priced products was ludicrous.

Doesn't wash chum.

Over the years, I've had over 500 satisfactory transactions on eBay. For your information, the majority of eBay vendors are very protectove of their 100% satisfaction feedback records, I won't deal with any others. So they ensure the products they sell are genuine and resolve any problems that occur.

I've suggested a perfectly good alternative at half the price of the one you recommended, this seems to have generated this further unnecessary tirade from you,

Well tough. You won't change my opinion.

Mods, this thread needs closing.

It's become non productive.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Look, you've had your say. Plenty of it.
Same number of posts as you.

Your dismisal of products on both eBay and Amazon as dangerous, just to justify your inclusion of a lot of high priced products was ludicrous.
Dear God, just what is wrong with you?

How many times do I have to point out that I am no more responsible for the fact that some people are offering products on eBay at inflated prices than you are for the fact that some people there are selling dubious ones before it sinks in?

What is so wrong with your ability to do joined-up-thinking that you can't grasp the idea that if I post a link to an eBay search I can hardly be dismissing all products there as dangerous, can I?

But some are, or can be.

See this? One of the items in your search. First one in the list. One that you say you were not saying people should buy whilst at the same time accusing me of saying people should buy one costing £hundreds because it was in the list which my search produced?

1609341751611.png

That CE mark is false.

So don't try to tell me that there is not a problem with some products on eBay (and Amazon) being dubious, because that doesn't wash, chum.

I've suggested a perfectly good alternative at half the price of the one you suggested
And I've suggested that you might like to show just where I criticised that suggested alternative.

But of course you've failed to do that.

this seems to have generated this further tirade from you,
No, what's generated a further response from me is the way you keep on saying that I've told people to buy sockets costing hundreds of pounds simply because my search produced items like that whilst simultaneously accusing me of fabrication when I point out that if what you say about me is true then you have to be telling people to buy cheap and dodgy-looking products simply because your search produced items like that.

What's generated a further response from me is the way you keep on and on misrepresenting my decision to pick MK as a make to search for as a criticism of your choice/suggestion of a BG one, despite it being blindingly obvious that not once did I respond in any way to your link to that product, let alone critically, and despite it being blindingly obvious that I posted the MK search in response to your one which really did bring up at least one dubious product.

Reaction score
Same number of posts as you.

Dear God, just what is wrong with you?

How many times do I have to point out that I am no more responsible for the fact that some people are offering products on eBay at inflated prices than you are for the fact that some people there are selling dubious ones before it sinks in?

What is so wrong with your ability to do joined-up-thinking that you can't grasp the idea that if I post a link to an eBay search I can hardly be dismissing all products there as dangerous, can I?

But some are, or can be.

See this? One of the items in your search. First one in the list. One that you say you were not saying people should buy whilst at the same time accusing me of saying people should buy one costing £hundreds because it was in the list which my search produced?

View attachment 3634

That CE mark is false.

So don't try to tell me that there is not a problem with some products on eBay (and Amazon) being dubious, because that doesn't wash, chum.

And I've suggested that you might like to show just where I criticised that suggested alternative.

But of course you've failed to do that.

No, what's generated a further response from me is the way you keep on saying that I've told people to buy sockets costing hundreds of pounds simply because my search produced items like that whilst simultaneously accusing me of fabrication when I point out that if what you say about me is true then you have to be telling people to buy cheap and dodgy-looking products simply because your search produced items like that.

What's generated a further response from me is the way you keep on and on misrepresenting my decision to pick MK as a make to search for as a criticism of your choice/suggestion of a BG one, despite it being blindingly obvious that not once did I respond in any way to your link to that product, let alone critically, and despite it being blindingly obvious that I posted the MK search in response to your one which really did bring up at least one dubious product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question