Benjamin Moore Outdoor Paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've mentioned Benjamin Moore paint a number of times but this morning I found an old picture to demonstrate the problems I've suffered over many years trying to maintain our exterior paintwork.

Over the years both living here and our previous house I've tried lots of brands of paint but all gave way to our dire Yorkshire climate;

Blown paint front window..JPG

Above shows the ongoing fight I endured over many years using all kinds of paint including extreme high temperature engine manifold paint all proving an absolute waste of time; I replaced the softwood beading then replaced this with hardwood beading I even tried applying a layer of filler over the beading but every year it was just the same.
Bedroom window_0001.JPG

Here is the same window with the beading still looking like brand new after 5 years exposure to severe weather on the valley side; the paint is Benjamin Moore Exterior Aura Satin; also the cladding which is 18mm thick WBP plywood is fully sealed to all edges and both faces with BM paint this too done 5 years ago. What a tremendous difference and I don't begrudge paying extra for such wonderful paint.

Kind regards, Colin.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ian
Ad

Advertisements

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have you used Dulux Weather Shield before? That's been my exterior paint of choice for the last 10 years, but I've also had good experiences with BM paints (Scuff-X in particular), so I'm considering switching to try Benjamin Moore Exterior Aura Satin. Just wondering if you've tried the Dulux equivalent before, to see what the comparison is like.

My rear patio doors are starting to flake and peel and will need a coat of paint in the next year. They get a lot of sunshine in the summer, plus a deluge of rain!

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks for asking Ian. No I didn't try Dulux Weather Shield but I have used Sikkens HLS & Cetol Filter 7 their microporous coatings and I even used Sikkens Rubbol gloss now owned by Dulux.

The best gloss paint I used was Johnstone's it like the Sikkens Rubbol went on to give a brilliant gloss but both are oil based; I think the longevity of the BM paint is because it's water based so not as adversly affected by the sunlight which causes the damage. I've not tried BM

https://benjaminmoorepaint.co.uk/products/aura-grand-entrance/

If I ever repaint the exterior doors I'll give it a try but at the moment I'm happy with the Aura Exterior satin. I gave up on spending a lot of time to gain a mirror finish only for the weather to eventually ruin it so the satin is fine now for me; I believe BM has a lifetime guarantee?

I've just used BM Advance Matte on the window frames in the rear extension and also the inner face of the front door; I'm unsure how this will stand up to handling but with just the two of us living here it won't get stressed and being water based it shouldn't turn yellow; a while ago Dulux received lots of really bad reviews because their brilliant white quickly turned yellow; perhaps Dulux has overcome this by now. The BM Advance Matte feels like very fine abrasive paper to touch the Aura exterior satin is much smoother; I'm still playing around with paint but since 2016 I now prefer BM. I've even used Little Greene paint.

As I become older I want less exterior maintenance to do to the bungalow hence the choice of the more expensive BM Aura and after five years I'm still happy with it. I stress I'm not a professional painter but I've been painting our home for 44 years.

BM Advance_0001.JPG

Benjamin Moore Advance Matte on the door and side frame; the paint goes on incredibly easy and the brush washes out rapidly. Sorry about picture quality but I live in a black hole called Yorkshire which gives me so much grief trying to keep the climate outside.
BM Advance_0002.JPG

Here's the BM Advance Matte on the frames and cill which I've only just completed the pictures taken a few minutes ago. Some of my woodturned items on display; I'll be interested to watch how this paint holds up and how long it remains white. If there is a better paint than BM then I'm open to suggestions; funds aren't a problem.

Good luck Ian.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reactions: Ian

Ask a Question