Landing lights with extra outdoor light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a two way landing switch and decided to add an outdoor light to it so bought a 3 gang 2 way switch, I have tried to wire it up but the outdoor light does not turn on, any help appreciated. One of the pictures show the original wiring. I thought adding the new wires to the last section of the new switch would have solved the problem.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There's no neutral at the switch - the outside light is never going to work just from there.

You are also not providing the outside light with a live, either.

You've just got the wires to the light sometimes connected to nothing, and sometimes connected to each other, but never connected to any source of power.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So how would I fix it?

The switch has live wires going in as the upstairs and downstairs lights work, it is just the 3rd switch which is connected to the outside light that does not work - how do I get power to the third switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So how would I fix it?

The switch has live wires going in as the upstairs and downstairs lights work,
1641314591266.png

it is just the 3rd switch which is connected to the outside light that does not work - how do I get power to the third switch?
You could take a live from the downstairs light cable. But you still won't have a neutral. Really you need to extend the/a lighting circuit to the outside light and use the cable you've already installed as a normal switch cable.

1641314387233.png

You have no choice but to take a neutral to the light from the circuit, so you might as well do it properly.

Ask a Question