Washing machine darn overflow -- Vacuum break

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a washer -- luckily its in the garage, so not too too much of a higher level to the pipe it drains to.

The issue is that when its draining water at the end of the wash cycle, about 70% of the water goes through the drain and after that its starts coming up at the connection on the drain hose at the wall. The drain flows fine when I connect a hose to a supply and send water through it. Snaking the drain shows no problem.
When the overflow occurs it also starts coming out of the air vent next to the machine. Kitchen and washer drains are connected together but kitchen is draining fine before and after snaking the lines.

I have had plumbers come out and fix the problem temporarily and was wondering what to do next.

Recently I read up about the "vacuum break" that may solve the problem. Its a cheap enough device -- approx. $30, but I don't want to delay permanently fixing the issue too much.

Can someone share any fixes they have done with the vacuum break or any other way to fix this kind of an issue and would this work in my situation and if there are any additional steps I have to take.

Below is a video of the solution someone proposed.

Ask a Question