Tiling over wallpaper: would you do it ?

Reaction score
Hi there:

The wife has changed her mind and now wants me to tile over the wallpaper in the downstairs loo for a splashback to the sink.

My question is: should I remove the wallpaper before I tile or is it OK to put the adhesive over the wallpaper ?

Your help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Alex

Reaction score
I'm no expert Alex but I'd say best to remove the wallpaper first. I can see it getting damn and pulling away from the wall!

Reaction score
Hahah, I like the comment 'My wife has changed her mind'.

I would removed the wall paper, I have tiled before and have always removed wall paper first. It could come loose. You need to bond to the plaster itself.

Reaction score
Remove the wallpaper, if (sorry, WHEN) your tiles fall off, you'll be annoyed with yourself for taking the shortcut

Reaction score
Hi there:

The wife has changed her mind and now wants me to tile over the wallpaper in the downstairs loo for a splashback to the sink.

My question is: should I remove the wallpaper before I tile or is it OK to put the adhesive over the wallpaper ?

Your help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Alex
Wallpaper usually comes off easily--diluted fabric softener is a good trick for removing it. Also you should check the condition of the wall as drywall or even plaster in a bath could need repair or replacement. No reason to tile over wallpaper--problems could arise from poor contact and adhesion.

Ask a Question