How To Finish Shower Tiling Job Where There's No Tile?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
my first ever tiling job. 2" square tiles on floor of shower cubicle. Repairing an old job.

Looks like there's going to be places where I can't really get a bit of tile in. LIke messy corners at the bottom of the wall where I've screwed up a bit. LIke around the plug hole where the mortar fades down to nothing.

What I'm wondering is what do I cover those places with? Is the tile grout good enough? Seeing it handles the job there between the tiles for the life of the shower I guess it should be. Or is it only good when in a confined place like that, sandwiched between two tiles?

If so, what do I finish up all the dubious places with?

Reaction score
my first ever tiling job. 2" square tiles on floor of shower cubicle. Repairing an old job.

Looks like there's going to be places where I can't really get a bit of tile in. LIke messy corners at the bottom of the wall where I've screwed up a bit. LIke around the plug hole where the mortar fades down to nothing.

What I'm wondering is what do I cover those places with? Is the tile grout good enough? Seeing it handles the job there between the tiles for the life of the shower I guess it should be. Or is it only good when in a confined place like that, sandwiched between two tiles?

If so, what do I finish up all the dubious places with?

With a bit of patience (several spare tiles) and an electric tile cuttter with a good blade, you can tile "anything." For the really tricky bits, nibble away at the tiles with a pair of pliers, but take tiny bits off at a time, or you'll be starting again.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
even this: myfirsttilingjob

I wonder a lot of things. Here's one: can I slosh on the 'glue' really thick and rely on it to take up any uneven-ness under the tile?

Reaction score
even this: myfirsttilingjob

I wonder a lot of things. Here's one: can I slosh on the 'glue' really thick and rely on it to take up any uneven-ness under the tile?

With tiling you can't beat proper preparation. Get the surface even, don't try to take short cuts by adding more tile cement to even things out. Tiles can sink into too much cement. Also use the spacers to keep them all square.

Use a straight edge over three tiles in all directions as you lay them to ensure you've got them level.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Yes a tile would sink into too much cement. that wouldn't work. I guess what I'm thinking is more after the style of levelling up where I think I really need it by applying a skim of tile cement. Let it dry and harden. Then do the final tiling on top of that.

Rather than going back to the beginning and trying to build up with mortar again.

Like once I start on the cementing can I just stay with the cementing. If you see what I mean.

Ask a Question