Reviving/refinishing countertop veneer on MDF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there,

I've been researching the Internet to death but still not sure how to go about reviving my rental kitchen countertop. I hope you'll be able to help me.

It's been done in the 80s, I assume it's veneer, but as you can see from the pictures, it's badly damaged in some places.

I like the colour of it, it's quite retro, and would like to revive it. I've foolishly sanded a tiny bit only to expose the MDF underneath so not a good move.

I've seen wood bleach/oxalic acid might get rid of the black? Is it a good option? Or is sanding/ varnish remover/wood filler the way to go? But in some places, there is definitely a difference in height between the intact veneer and the damaged one. Would wood filler do the trick? So many questions, so little knowledge!

I wouldn't mind getting it a bit darker if necessary. I'm not even sure what colour this is or what finish has been used.

I'm a newbie to this type of work, on a budget so no option to change the whole thing but a lot of willpower.

Any suggestion as to the possible process would be warmly welcome!

Attachments

Ask a Question